First batch of chicks arrived!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i was at a chicken restaurant once and chicken legs were on the menu. i asked the waiter???? are these the front legs or the rear legs ???? the waiter went all the way back to the manager to try to confirm my question. the waiter returned with the answer " no body knows"....

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Look at THAT grin!! 🤗🤗🤗 Those chickens will be spoilt rotten! Lol The 3 youngest ones I have (they are completely feathered out and laying now so they are NOT babies by any stretch of the imagination) will:

1. Come running at me from the depths of the backyard like a damned cartoon chicken! All I have to do is holler "Herechickchickchickchick!!" Sometimes I don't even have to do that. If they year the door open or shut, they come running. If they hear Dawg's claws click on the concrete, they come running. 🤷

2. All 3 of them "need" to be petted at the very least. A couple of them insist (like jumping up and pecking at my legs "insist") on being picked up and held and talked to. They literally cock their heads around and look at me like they understand every damned word I'm saying. 🤷

3. Will run up to Dawg and the kittens, if they come out with me, and stick their beaks up whoever's ass ... 🤷🤷🤦🤦🤦 I guess they learned it from Dawg and Harvey (the black and white cat) when they were little baby chicks and Dawg would try to inhale them. Harvey always had his nose up their asses, too. 🤷

4. Will squawk at me and carry on like banshees until they get their "treat". And NO! You cannot fool them with a handful of pellets. It has to be scratch ... Or mealworms ... Or canned veggies that were refrigerated overnight. They LOVE that stuff right now.

I dunno what to tell you. My critters, not a single one of them, have ever been normal. Last night, for instance, Miss Priss used me and Grumpy for trampolines. Boing boing boing boing back and forth off each of us. 🤷🤷🤷 I looked at the clock. It was 4:30 ... A.M. ... In the morning!! THE DARK MORNING!! When everyone else is asleep!!! 😖😖😖

It's like having a houseful of kids ... What do you do?? Lol
Carefull, TMI, we may have to start calling you the Chicken Whisperer....

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He’s a good kid. He just needed more structure and discipline in his life. Animals teach you that there are consequences to not having routine and discipline.

He’s begging for a BB gun for his birthday so that he can protect the chickens from predators. He doesn’t say predators quite right so it’s fricin adorable. Lol

It’ll be time this weekend to cull the roosters we got. So it’ll be his first experience watching something die and then paying respect and using it. Wife doesn’t think it’s a good idea to have him slit the throat but I don’t know. He’s super into guns and knives because of my background so I want to teach him how careful you have to be. He really wants to be the one who does it but he doesn’t understand what that means.

What age were you guys when you first processed an animal? I can’t remember that far back in my life. I think I was close to that age.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good for you getting your kids into caring for the animals. And that's a pretty nice coop, too!

I love having the chickens around. Like @THAT Gurl I have a few that follow me around like a puppy. The guineas...nope. They are not interested in the slightest in any sort of interaction with me.

The goats are a blast, too. Although, they aren't the sweet, funny little babies they were when we got 'em. They're kind of a PITA now because they're so stubborn. I think I might need a "goat-be-good" stick...

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He’s a good kid. He just needed more structure and discipline in his life. Animals teach you that there are consequences to not having routine and discipline.

He’s begging for a BB gun for his birthday so that he can protect the chickens from predators. He doesn’t say predators quite right so it’s fricin adorable. Lol

It’ll be time this weekend to cull the roosters we got. So it’ll be his first experience watching something die and then paying respect and using it. Wife doesn’t think it’s a good idea to have him slit the throat but I don’t know. He’s super into guns and knives because of my background so I want to teach him how careful you have to be. He really wants to be the one who does it but he doesn’t understand what that means.

What age were you guys when you first processed an animal? I can’t remember that far back in my life. I think I was close to that age.

I was 5 BUT I had been exposed to all manner of death and injury because of my dad's veterinary practice so I'm not sure what is "normal" timing for these things. I will say this -- my dad made sure that before I killed my first rabbit that I understood in great detail how the nervous system works and that animals feel fear and pain just like we do. To this day I cannot kill an animal in the presence of it's "mates". Can't do it. Animals smell death so they know what's going on after the first one but I just cannot do the deed where they can see me doing it.

Here's what I know --

When I took Nero to be euthanized Dawg looked EVERYWHERE for him. And sniffed me HARD up one side and down the other. I bawled my eyes out because I felt so guilty for taking his buddy from him (though I knew it was Nero's time and he was hurting). Dawg didn't have anything to do with me for a couple of weeks. 😢

Every time I've butchered quail or chickens or rabbit here, the chickens give me a WIDE berth for a few days. Rabbits won't let me pet them for a week or so after. Quail never seemed to know (or care 🤷) but then they aren't as tame as the rabbits or chickens. So ... 🤷🤷🤷

On the farm it was different. Probably because we weren't as close to our animals (and our animals on the farm hasn't bonded as closely with us as these guys have with me) as I am with these guys here in town.

One last thing -- I am 65 years old and I still go into a funk when I harvest animals. It hurts my heart. I mean I understand the practicality of the whole thing -- I didn't get these guys to be pets. They are here to serve a purpose. But still ... He may or may not react the same way but you might watch him. Might need to talk to him about it if it affects him more than what you think it should ...

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

i hope those roosters are frying size?

Latest posts

Top Bottom