First encounter with an OCer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
waiting for the post of how if I give up this right, we are incrementally giving up and opening ourselves to eventually have a gestapo state.

Life doesn't have to be as hard as folks make it out to be.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's certainly a fine line to walk. IMHO, I think as long as the officers are merely ensuring someone is properly licensed then there is no reason for conflict(show your license and be on your way), but there are plenty of officers who have nothing better to do than go on fishing expeditions. There were plenty of officers running people's names and serial numbers when UOC started blowing up in CA(before they banned it) because no license was required. Unloaded open carry was a "loophole" people discovered and started abusing(groups would meet up at starbucks strapped with unloaded pistols and order lattes and cappuccinos, scaring all the soccer moms and causing an increase in MWAG police reports). I can't imagine a criminal would be brazen enough to open carry when the last thing they want to do is draw attention to themselves, but it was the number one reason LEO's gave for asking for papers(I don't know you and you could be a criminal or that gun could be "illegal" - papers please).

I hope as OC continues to grow throughout the US that most will become comfortable with it and we can stop these Terry Stop interactions and go about our law-abiding business. But that is mostly wishful thinking......

OC tore a huge divide in the calguns community as many blamed the OCer's for getting UOC banned because of their blatant and often times, combative positions regarding their "rights." Ironically most of the people who blamed UOCer's for getting the "right" banned do not blame themselves(for buying/building bullet buttoned AR's) as being the reason that the state recently tried to ban semi-auto rifles. Hello pot, this is kettle.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see any difference between a OCer excitedly discussing OC with a LEO here on this forum in writing ....versus in person... unless it is the fact that a civilian OCing makes some LEO's nervous. Just because they don't do or act like some of you would do in a similar situation isn't justification for degrading or berating them. It is interesting to me that the LEO's [local police, County Sheriff's & OHP] who work in the rural areas [even in larger cities like Lawton, Ardmore, Enid and so on] aren't making demands for open carriers to show their license & State issued ID for having started up a conversation with them just because the OC'er is excited at having a new priviledge / right. Maybe working in a rural area they have learned to 'read' & deal with people differently.I guess I should give a little credit to a Bethany officer & several OKC police officers I encountered last week. I was in the OKC metro area and OCing. I got out of my vehicle next to a Bethany officer who was sitting in his patrol vehicle near the curb running radar on the traffic. He happened to look my way as I adjusted my holster after having gotten out of my vehicle-- I had moved the holster from its normal position because of the seat belt. I waved and he smiled, waved, and went back to his radar. I was in & out of a number of places all day long in the metro area. Several uniformed OKC officers just glanced at my weapon and went on their way without missing a step. Seems there are a number of LEO's that don't feel it necessary to make someone pony-up their license just because they are OCing or are excited about the new law and want to talk to or ask them questions about it.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't see any difference between a OCer excitedly discussing OC with a LEO here on this forum in writing ....versus in person... unless it is the fact that a civilian OCing makes some LEO's nervous. Just because they don't do or act like some of you would do in a similar situation isn't justification for degrading or berating them. It is interesting to me that the LEO's [local police, County Sheriff's & OHP] who work in the rural areas [even in larger cities like Lawton, Ardmore, Enid and so on] aren't making demands for open carriers to show their license & State issued ID for having started up a conversation with them just because the OC'er is excited at having a new priviledge / right. Maybe working in a rural area they have learned to 'read' & deal with people differently.I guess I should give a little credit to a Bethany officer & several OKC police officers I encountered last week. I was in the OKC metro area and OCing. I got out of my vehicle next to a Bethany officer who was sitting in his patrol vehicle near the curb running radar on the traffic. He happened to look my way as I adjusted my holster after having gotten out of my vehicle-- I had moved the holster from its normal position because of the seat belt. I waved and he smiled, waved, and went back to his radar. I was in & out of a number of places all day long in the metro area. Several uniformed OKC officers just glanced at my weapon and went on their way without missing a step. Seems there are a number of LEO's that don't feel it necessary to make someone pony-up their license just because they are OCing or are excited about the new law and want to talk to or ask them questions about it.

Well David I'm curious about something....Why are you around police so much? Are you in trouble? Trying to get a reaction (known as baiting)? Heck you see more cops in a day than I do.

You seem to be really sore because this guy apparently wanted some attention and I helped him out. I've done this job for 22 years now and tend to give folks what they want most times. This guy wanted attention and I obliged him. No harm, no foul .....

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think GC was jealous because he can't open carry out of uniform.

LOL, do you have any idea how many times a day I hear about this? (Like every single time we leave the house......) Funny thing is it's not like BB is doing any open carry. She just likes to rag on me.........women........Can't live with them, can't shoot them.......Am I right?)

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well David I'm curious about something....Why are you around police so much? Are you in trouble? Trying to get a reaction (known as baiting)? Heck you see more cops in a day than I do.

You seem to be really sore because this guy apparently wanted some attention and I helped him out. I've done this job for 22 years now and tend to give folks what they want most times. This guy wanted attention and I obliged him. No harm, no foul .....

Well said, and totally agree....the guy may or may not be member here(too scared to out himself? lol), but I bet as soon as he got home he logged onto opencarry.org and talked about his "police confrontation." I think what you did was fine, and starkly contrasts the LEO's who go on fishing expeditions. If you watch some of the UOC videos from CA, its usually some youngster walking down the street with a gun and a camera. Before you know it there are 6 cops cars around him and most of them are asking him for the cliff notes to his life story, while he continually recites the same two sentences over and over(am i being detained, am i free to go) all the while the other officers are running checks on his name and firearm to see if they can cite or arrest him for anything. That is excessive and unnecessary IMHO.

You get a thumbs up in my book for your respectful yet hilarious banter with someone who obviously wanted to see what your reaction would be. Bravo good sir!

Latest posts

Top Bottom