First vehicle you learned to drive that had a stick shift?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To further elaborate. I purchased the GTO by putting up $100 down payment and the local bank -Valley State Bank of Kansas loaned me the rest without a parent's co-signature. I was 16 at the time. That would be impossible today. Then at 17 they loaned me the money to purchase a brand new 1973 Ford Capri without a parent's co-signature. That was a piece of crap car. Traded it in on a new1975 Ford pickup, with a straight six -three on the column. Another piece of crap. Never purchased another new vehicle until 1999.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1983’sh Blue Chevy Cavalier Wagon. I was 12 and my brother in law threw me the keys in the hills of Hannibal Missouri. I learned real quick how to work the clutch.
Most difficult was my rusted lime green 1976 Chevy 1/2 ton. Three on the tree was not to bad, the clutch was so stiff i had to wear high calf work boots for support so I would have the strength to hold it down...

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To further elaborate. I purchased the GTO by putting up $100 down payment and the local bank -Valley State Bank of Kansas loaned me the rest without a parent's co-signature. I was 16 at the time. That would be impossible today. Then at 17 they loaned me the money to purchase a brand new 1973 Ford Capri without a parent's co-signature. That was a piece of crap car. Traded it in on a new1975 Ford pickup, with a straight six -three on the column. Another piece of crap. Never purchased another new vehicle until 1999.

I had a 1972 Capri 2600cc V-6 ,4 speed and loved it. It was very solid and peppy. I'd buy one today if I could find one in good shape. Maybe you got a lemon?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
'72 Yamaha 100, learned clutch and gears on it, pretty easy to transition to cars.

I drove a lot of manual cars, Dad's and for work, the first stick I owned was a 72 Datsun 510 in 1978.

Latest posts

Top Bottom