First vehicle you learned to drive that had a stick shift?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
First ever was my buddies 88 Jeep Comanche, with the horrible peugeot transmission and that awesome jeep 4.0. There was so much slop in the shift linkage and everything was so worn down that my buddy was the only person that could actually drive it. I managed to limp in down the road around the block a few times. Girlfriend taught me the basics again in her f150, but I didn't truly learn until 9 years later when I went out and just bought a manual car, likely one of the first 2014 Ford Fiesta ST's in Oklahoma. Taught myself how to drive stick on the way home with my little bit of knowledge i gained in the past. Man that was a fun car, quick too.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Learned to drive in the late '60s on Dad's '65 F-100 with a granny 4 spd, also in a hay field.

My first car was a '61 Chevy Impala convertible with a 3 spd on the column. It wasn't a show piece... my older brother had tried to sell it for $100, then gave it to me when I was 15. :D
:drunk2:

Hawker800

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_1978.JPG
IMG_1977.JPG

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was a VW Super Beetle, either a '68 or a '69. My sister had just given birth to her first baby and my Mom loaned my brother in law her new Chevrolet Malibu. I had to drive it over to my sister's house and bring back the VW. The only problem was what sat in between the two locations: the Manahawkin Bay Bridge.
MBB01.jpg

Now, this was the first time I had ever driven a stick shift. After my BIL gave me a quick tutorial, I was on my way. A bit nervous about driving a stick, I almost completely freaked out when I came to this:
MBB02.jpg

Thankfully, I got over the bridge and made it home in one piece. I finally got my own manual transmission car two years later--a 1969 Ford Mustang mach One. The only problem is, it had a three speed transmission!

Latest posts

Top Bottom