Fish antibiotics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are gonna play doctor (or pharmacist) it would be in your best interests to study like doctors and pharmacists have to. Random posts on WSHTF.end ARE NOT sufficient for this purpose unless you are willing to trust your life (or a loved one's life) to some armchair commando's idea of "what makes sense" to him and his 7th grade education.

This is the best advice anybody can get.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are gonna play doctor (or pharmacist) it would be in your best interests to study like doctors and pharmacists have to. Random posts on WSHTF.end ARE NOT sufficient for this purpose unless you are willing to trust your life (or a loved one's life) to some armchair commando's idea of "what makes sense" to him and his 7th grade education.

It's not so much about wanting to play doctor, it's more about simple things that can be done now that will make life a whole lot easier if things go down hill. Luckily for us our great govt had the foresight to not let competent people buy medication they might need.

Ill be the first to say if I'm in a bad enough way to take animal medicine, it's probly safe to say there won't be any other options around.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not so much about wanting to play doctor, it's more about simple things that can be done now that will make life a whole lot easier if things go down hill. Luckily for us our great govt had the foresight to not let competent people buy medication they might need.

Ill be the first to say if I'm in a bad enough way to take animal medicine, it's probly safe to say there won't be any other options around.

Sorry, but if you are prescribing/taking medications (even if it is OTC meds) and don't understand the mechanics under which those meds work, the spectrum of problems those meds are to treat and the appropriate dosages, not to mention the counter indications and possible adverse reactions for those medications then you have no business telling others how/when to take them. You can do so much more damage than you realize by not knowing the who/what/where/when of medications ...

I'd also suggest you stock meds to treat any possible side effects that could crop up ... Any number of which could be fatal, even if the illness you are trying to diagnose and treat would probably not be.

I realize that a lot of you guys (not you specifically, just the prepper community in general) think that medical proffesionals are just overpaid pill pushers and anybody can figure that stuff out on the fly. And I'm not gonna change anybody's mind with my post. But it's important to point out that medical procedures, including prescribing medication, that seem like "no brainers" can quickly become life-threatening to the person you are "practicing" on if you are not properly trained.

However, I am aware that YMMV so ...

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, but if you are prescribing/taking medications (even if it is OTC meds) and don't understand the mechanics under which those meds work, the spectrum of problems those meds are to treat and the appropriate dosages, not to mention the counter indications and possible adverse reactions for those medications then you have no business telling others how/when to take them. You can do so much more damage than you realize by not knowing the who/what/where/when of medications ...

I'd also suggest you stock meds to treat any possible side effects that could crop up ... Any number of which could be fatal, even if the illness you are trying to diagnose and treat would probably not be.

I realize that a lot of you guys (not you specifically, just the prepper community in general) think that medical proffesionals are just overpaid pill pushers and anybody can figure that stuff out on the fly. And I'm not gonna change anybody's mind with my post. But it's important to point out that medical procedures, including prescribing medication, that seem like "no brainers" can quickly become life-threatening to the person you are "practicing" on if you are not properly trained.

However, I am aware that YMMV so ...

I agree, if you have any doubt, DON'T

A doctor takes 6 to 10+ years of collage, then their residence. Then maybe more schooling.
Even after all of that, they still call it a practice, because there is no way they know everything.
And not many get to the top of their field, much less know all specialties.

We can get as much training as we can. First responder training is a great place to start.
Then go for your EMT, even LPN or RN if you are so inclined. Even with all of this,
if you are out of the field for a few years, you can't retain all of it. The best you can do is
keep your guides close, only do what you have to when there is no other way out of it,
and hope a nurse or doctor comes along if something goes really bad.

I too was brought up on vet supplies. When you are out in the boonies in the sand hills,
The vet may be the only doctor in a 150 mile radius. And he comes around once a month
to check on the live stock. You do what you have to do. I did not turn out that bad, I did
survive, and believe me, I did some crazy things when I was young!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who needs a doctor? We were raise in the boonies (OK) and doctoring was simple.

1. sore joints / muscles = spray with WD-40
2. snake bite = soak rag in kerosene and wrap bite
3. CASTOR OIL EVERYDAY
4. fish hook in hand = pull it out and soak in the creek
5. bee sting = run faster
6. hornet sting = DON"T F*** WITH HORNETS

will probably edit this as I remember more.
How did we survive. No seatbelts, no bike helmets, no cell phones, no earplugs, no OSHA, no EPA, no CPS OMG our parents should have been flogged :scream:

7. memory loss = I forget

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who needs a doctor? We were raise in the boonies (OK) and doctoring was simple.

1. sore joints / muscles = spray with WD-40
2. snake bite = soak rag in kerosene and wrap bite
3. CASTOR OIL EVERYDAY
4. fish hook in hand = pull it out and soak in the creek
5. bee sting = run faster
6. hornet sting = DON"T F*** WITH HORNETS

will probably edit this as I remember more.
How did we survive. No seatbelts, no bike helmets, no cell phones, no earplugs, no OSHA, no EPA, no CPS OMG our parents should have been flogged :scream:

7. memory loss = I forget

:rollingla No kidding!! I can remember some of the things us kids did to each other cuz we were more afraid of Daddy finding out what we'd been up to than we were of being permamently maimed. LOL

And I remember how my dad treated memory loss. He flogged you! I promise you didn't forget again! :D

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:thanku:

Oh yeah, I remember that.

8. memory loss = willow switch
9. attitude adjustment = willow switch
10. lazy, not getting chores done = willow switch
11. just being a boy = willow switch
12. sass talking teacher = willow switch
13. Getting in Papa's tool shed and leaving tools out = willow switch

willow switch, the miracle cure for many of the worlds woes. Now they just want to give some drugs. A good willow switch works better than Ridlan any and every time. And we don't need a prescription or Babbacare to administer. Hmmmmmmm, that could be why the willow is discouraged. Child abuse????????? I don't feel abused, I have happy, happy, happy memories.

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:thanku:

Oh yeah, I remember that.

8. memory loss = willow switch
9. attitude adjustment = willow switch
10. lazy, not getting chores done = willow switch
11. just being a boy = willow switch
12. sass talking teacher = willow switch
13. Getting in Papa's tool shed and leaving tools out = willow switch

willow switch, the miracle cure for many of the worlds woes. Now they just want to give some drugs. A good willow switch works better than Ridlan any and every time. And we don't need a prescription or Babbacare to administer. Hmmmmmmm, that could be why the willow is discouraged. Child abuse????????? I don't feel abused, I have happy, happy, happy memories.

But no body makes any money off of a willow switch........... I never got a willow switch but whatever was handy sure got the point across

Latest posts

Top Bottom