FIX for slinging V belts on SBC=$25 serpentine set up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Non electronic bug out vehicles need to keep belts on i would think.

All you guys with the old quick revving sbc's that have issues with V belts slinging off
here is a fix i performed a few days ago.

I have been having issues at building to 7000 rpm really quick like tires spinning and then V Belt flies off. I run a ford flex fan and this adds to the drag when going up and down in engine speed. makes the belt whip.
My old non cogged V belts never gave me issues.

I gave in and had some time a couple days ago and hit the Pull-a-Part.
In search of a serpentine system i could make work on old school chevy 350 (1969).

I knew the crank pulley from around 1991 sbc would work..Got one from a 91 Pontiac TA.
Got an alternator pulley off of a 1985 ford V8 I knew the ford shaft was the same as my mid 1970's gm alternator as i have stuck the GM on a ford and used that serpentine pulley.

Now i need a pulley for the waterpump.
I see the one chevy used is slick and runs on the slick side of the belt and runs the waterpump backwards.. and then my fan would push instead of pull.

I like my fan and waterpump.
I guess i could change and add an idler pulley in the mix..But it would need to have the grooves in it..You can get those off the 1994+ dodge trucks V8 and possibly the 6.

NO go ..I want 3 pulleys water pump , alternator and crankshaft.

The ford 3.0 V6 Uses a nice pulley that is grooved so i get it.

Yes it will need drilled to my water pump pattern ..but the hole in the middle is the same.

And has 6 grooves like all the other pulleys i got.

It did not line up..
I needed to have the ford V6 pulley set back another 1/2" or so to make the belt line up.

Or bring my crank pulley and alternator pulley out towards the radiator 1/2".
Not doing that.

I cut the snout off of a spare water pump pulley Just about 1/2" .

I then centered and welded it to the ford water pump pulley..Then cut the ford pulley inside mounting flange out...

Perfect..My 3 groove pulley setup is a win..
5 bucks a pulley an the salvage yard..$10 for my 46" long 5 groove belt.

Yes 5 groove.. i allowed 1 groove space in case the alternator did not line up.
It all lined up and i could have used the 6 groove.

NO floppin' and did not fly off yet.

Yes you will need to weld and fab.

I was wondering all the while how far in the short style water pump would allow my pulley to set in...If it is enough you could get by with just drilling new holes in the V6 Ford water pump pulley.

Here it is.. you can see my welded lengthened ford water pump pulley.

belt.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not had any issues with slipping or cooling so there is probably plenty.
I would think with the one wire alternators this setup would work well as they do not excite at low speeds.
But once excited they do good.

If i end up needing more i have some smooth idler pulleys i could use.

It has the same amount of wrap as a V belt and with all the grooves it could have about the same surface area.
This is a 5 groove and i will get a 6 groove and keep as a spare.

I like spares.

Latest posts

Top Bottom