Flashlights on guns in general and in home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! I'd like to see that!
Unfortunately I never got that on video, because there wasn't enough light to shoot video! :D

Let's just say that my record over several matches is solid. Revolver to revolver, Jerry Miculek never beat me on a single low light stage, and I contribute a lot of that to my flashlight method. :)

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed; this is true. I also think there are a lot of experts who aren't so much.
So true. These same "experts" also excel at isolating themselves and showing their be-hind by resorting to name calling and insults. These folks (trolls) often end up just going away if we don't feed them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed; this is true. I also think there are a lot of experts who aren't so much.
I have to agree although there have been some real life operators reply in this thread.
As always, situation demands tactics, some of which are not available to ordinary citizens because of financial issues or unavailability.
Personally I have WML on dedicated firearms for a specific purpose.
My AR-22 is for armadillo control at night. WML is great!
The bedroom nightstand pistol with WML has the light for a backup. Motion activated night lights will display anyone coming down the hallway. UNLESS like a member on this forum experienced where the intruder removed the electrical meter before entering the home defeating that safety measure. kills night lights and WiFi cams not backed up with fail safe measures
They weren’t home at the time and lost items with the perp caught on a security cam prior to pulling the meter and later arrested, items not recovered. Name remains private by request.
Third is the truck gun. Same model pistol as the bedroom gun with the same WML on it so there is no fumbling with different model controls. Need the light, use it. Don’t need it, don’t use it.
All lights sport a green laser that is visible in daylight that I see as useless compared to using the danged sights!
I can see the use of a laser in a few situations but in reality they give away your position in any smoky or dusty condition.
Not pointing fingers at anyone, just pointing out that there are situations where WML’s can be useful.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Weaponlights? You be the judge. /PaulHarrell :bolt:

IMG_6127.jpeg
IMG_6133.jpeg

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can think of literally ZERO legitimate reason to not have a WML (possible exception being a revolver). Pretty much all of the “negatives” I’ve seen are from lack of training and a lack of experience.
In doors rooms and halls can be illuminated while pointing the firearm in a safe direction.

The FBI technique is wonky to shoot from, and you’d be getting in a gunfight with one hand on purpose.

The Rogers technique has all of the ‘negatives’ of a WML, but it also adds in Inconsistency to your grip and is slower to get into.

The neck index is a one handed gunfight on purpose. If your worried about the light being a billet magnet, you now put the magnet on your neck/face. Solid plan

The Harries technique is a barely braced one handed gunfight. It carries all of the proposed ‘negatives’ of a WML. It is slower to get into, and I have seen a LOT of people cover their support hand getting into position.

You HAVE to see a threat before you fire at it.
If you insist on using a 50 year old technique, put it on a timer and check accuracy. Get a shot timer, and measure the time to first hit with the Harries technique (or whichever one tickles your fancy) from the holster. Next do the same with a weapon mounted light (benefit of the same draw stroke). WML will win. Make sure someone is there with a medkit and training, remember people tend to cover their wrist.

When you’re done with that, fire five rounds as fast as you can with whatever handheld weapon light technique you choose. Do the same with a WML. I’d wager WML wins in accuracy.

Last, use a hand held light technique, start covering the target and fire as quickly as you can keep all of your rounds in the A zone. Do the same with a WML. I’d wager WML wins.

Zero actual downsides to a WML with proper technique. But GET TRAINING.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also believe the temptation to use it as a flashlight can be a real issue. Maybe not so much inside the house, but what if you hear a prowler outside (garage, shed, whatever)?

Personally, I have no desire for a weapon mounted light.

YMMV :drunk2:
___
Me neither plus it lets the perp/perps know where you are at. Lets say you have drawn down on on a perp and his bud is twenty feet or so to your left/right. You don't see him as you are focused on the guy in your light then bad guy shoots at the light. Case Closed!

Latest posts

Top Bottom