Flying with firearms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We just got back from Colorado, and I took a pistol with me for the first time on the plane.

Flew Frontier. Had it in a locked hard side case, inside the checked luggage, and never got an eyebrow raised when checking in at OKC.

Gave me a red tag I had to sign and put in the luggage stating it was unloaded, and locked up, but never got any inspection.

Coming out of Denver this afternoon, checking in with Frontier, I told the counter attendant that I was travelling with a fire arm, and she acted like no big deal, but I never got a red card to sign and put in the luggage. I repeated it for the third time, and said I need a card to put in the luggage, and she called a TSA guy to take me for "enhanced" security. He pulled my bag to another room with a big Xray machine, but it only went on a stainless steel counter where another TSA agent basically turned it over several times, looked at all the zippers or something, and put it on a conveyor. Never took a swab or anything that I saw to check for anything out of the ordinary. She said we could go, and off we went to board. No big deal, but wonder why it was so easy in OKC and drew attention in Denver.

While standing outside the room, three other TSA agents rolled up with other peoples luggage. I assume they had firearms in them. Can't say for sure.

Over all, not a bad experience. I'll be flying with them from now on.

Crusader8207

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I travel 3 weeks a month and check a firearm every trip. I exclusively fly Southwest. TSA and each airline have their own requirements as far as handling firearms in checked baggage. It is highly recommended to go to both of their websites to read the requirements. I fly mostly to the West Coast (California, Arizona, Nevada, and Utah). As far as airports and their procedures, Tulsa International is pretty easy. Only once have I had additional security screening and that was because they couldn't get into my suitcase (they couldn't open the TSA approved locks). Phoenix always has me go to a secondary screener, but they just swab the case for explosives and away I go. Burbank California I always get the second check. San Diego, drop and go. Las Vegas, they take my bag and advise me to wait 10 minutes at the end of a hallway, if no one comes out in 10 min I am free to go. Salt Lake City, no issues. Ontario (by far the nicest airport on the West Coast) does require secondary screening.

Here is my procedure for traveling with a firearm.

1. I place the unloaded firearm in a gun vault safe that is secured to the frame of my suitcase. This case is to be locked and not accessible by anyone but you. TSA can request your key to open it for inspection, however I have never had that happen.

2. Ammunition is packed in my suitcase in its original container. I usually carry 50 rounds of defensive ammo.

3. When I check in, I advise the ticketing agent that I need a "Firearms Declaration Card". They typically fill out most of it. I sign it and put my address and phone number on it. They then place it in my suitcase on top of the gun vault. Sometimes they tape it, most times they just place it in the case.

Overall, it is a pretty simple procedure. The only place that I would probably not travel with my firearm is to New York or New Jersey, however it will be a cold day in hell before I go back to the North East.

YMMV

eyecyou

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I flew with mine to Alaska and on the return flight, in the airport, my mother hollard across the check in to ask if "I had my gun?" I found the express lane through airport security that day. They swabbed everything from the case to my bag to my hands to my shoes. Quite the thrill ride

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is my procedure for traveling with a firearm.

1. I place the unloaded firearm in a gun vault safe that is secured to the frame of my suitcase. This case is to be locked and not accessible by anyone but you. TSA can request your key to open it for inspection, however I have never had that happen.

2. Ammunition is packed in my suitcase in its original container. I usually carry 50 rounds of defensive ammo.

3. When I check in, I advise the ticketing agent that I need a "Firearms Declaration Card". They typically fill out most of it. I sign it and put my address and phone number on it. They then place it in my suitcase on top of the gun vault. Sometimes they tape it, most times they just place it in the case.

That is more or less my story flying United to Jackson Hole a few months ago. I just have a clam case thought, and stored the ammo in there. I offered to open the case to show that it was all unloaded and packed properly and they declined at OKC and Jax Hole. It took a few more minutes at the counter because they had to make sure the loading people accept it, but not more than 10 mins of standing around. Security was no big deal. I'm on the quick pass list, so it was like walking through security checks in the early 90's; bag on the xray machine, empty pockets, walk through metal detector. No need for shoe removal, laptop removal or any other extra checks due to the 'special' list. I recommend anyone eligible to sign up for that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got to do the quick pass deal.
45 minutes in Denver security line. Meanwhile, the TSA quick pass line attendants were looking bored with nobody in their lines.

Latest posts

Top Bottom