Folks On Food Stamps Have Good & Expensive Tastes When it Comes to Food.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before I got married and was just dating my wife she was on food stamps. She was a single mother of 2 who got nothing from her deadbeat ex. She worked a part time job and went to school half a day. If it wasnt for food stamps her girls wouldnt have had much in the way of food to eat. Do you really expect a 5 and an 8 year old girls to eat beans and corn bread everynight of the week?

OK.....about the whole "beans and cornbread thing; it started here:

Why do you care? If they spend their money on that and don't have any for the rest of the month, they are in the same boat we are. Why do we feel like if we extend charity or fund a food stamp program they need to eat beans and cornbread every day?................ Who knows, or who cares, it could be a party, and people on assistance have just as much right to splurge as someone that isn't.

And I made the comment:

You've got to be kidding me.....they have a "RIGHT" to "splurge" on assistance money fleeced from the paychecks of others? They don't have a "RIGHT" to sh*t.......they should be thankful to get beans and cornbread from the forced charity of others.

No one said that's all they should be given; my whole point is that if people are getting charity looted from the paychecks of others, they should be thankful if that's all they did get. Now, I have no problem with those who've paid into the system using it to help get them back on their feet - that's what it is for. But I detest the notion that people have a right to get on "assistance" and buy lobster with it. That ain't "assistance", that's abuse, as far as I'm concerned.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
OK.....about the whole "beans and cornbread thing; it started here:

And I made the comment:

No one said that's all they should be given; my whole point is that if people are getting charity looted from the paychecks of others, they should be thankful if that's all they did get. Now, I have no problem with those who've paid into the system using it to help get them back on their feet - that's what it is for. But I detest the notion that people have a right to get on "assistance" and buy lobster with it. That ain't "assistance", that's abuse, as far as I'm concerned.

Because beans and cornbread will not buy me votes! Now lobster and steak...BOOHYAH!
--sincerely, the jack arse party :)

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I don't care what People on public assistance for food buy, but it really bothers me when the two carts contain nothing but processed food like twinky's, frozen pizza, candy, etc, and the person pushing the carts weigh about 400lbs+

Again, Its their decision what to buy, and I certainly don't want to regulate their personal decisions, but I wish they would consider what they are doing to their bodies, and their kids that are overweight as well, are not benefitting from their food decisions.

My basic concern is the kids that have no choice.

I find that bothersome as well Dennis the real problem is that 2 cart loads of processed crap have a much longer shelf life than fresh vegetables and meats and is not much more expensive for a months supply of food to feed 3 than a weeks worth of fresh organic food is for 3 people. And supermarket fresh vegetables are bland and tasteless as well. The shelf life is an issue is a big one for families on assistance as well. The ones that really do need it tend not to have reliable transportation, I have the luxury of hopping in the truck and running to the store when I want something, we can't buy more than a weeks worth of fresh vegetables and meats from whole foods because all that stuff doesn't take long to go bad. Even when refrigerated, chicken thighs that haven't been soaked and packed in a bunch of preservative fluid go bad in 4 to 5 days. It does no good for a family that is on food stamps that doesn't have reliable transport to buy quality foods. Just a catch 22 of that program.

Man I love me some beans with a ham hock for flavor a pan of cornbread and skillet fried potatoes. But I ate it a lot when I was growing up because we were poor. Commodity cheese was my favorite followed closely by the commodity peanut butter, which I wasn't allowed to have after some quack allergy doc said I was allergic to peanuts. Problem is a big old plate of that food is more than I need for calories in all 3 meals and a snack for an entire day.

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The whole problem with "assistance" is that it is a government program.

As many self-proclaimed "good Christians" as there are in this country, there should be plenty of charity to feed anyone who needs help.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

As many self-proclaimed "good Christians" as there are in this country, there should be plenty of charity to feed anyone who needs help.

I know there are quite a few food banks at churches here in Tulsa. I used them years and years ago when I had too. Problem with those is.........you only get food and not money to spend on other stuff like alcohol, smokes, drugs, lottery tickets, etc.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

We donate food, time and our church helps. I don't think anyone has a problem helping people in need. Alot of us have hit hard times in our lives. It is great to help someone get back on their feet. The problem is that some people don't want help getting back on their feet. They just want a free ride. You have to draw a line and cut off help for those people. That will motivate them to help themselves. That way, you can help more people who are willing to help themselves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom