Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haakdustin

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need some opinions. I no tilled drilled 16 acres of Eagle Seed last Friday in Calvin, Oklahoma. We have now gotten around 5 or 6 inches of rain since. Is this going to have a negative effect on germination. Some of it is pooling instead of soaking in the soil. Here is one plot to show you what I mean.
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160420_3173cbb499a375dd52994707760fc58b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are fine, as soon as the sun hits it and the soil starts to dry and warm the peas will be popping up all over. They should grow fast with all the moisture and be nipped off pretty quick too

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Time to freshen the mineral licks. My deer have set up shop in my Buck Forage Oats. Every time I drive in in the evening there are 4 or 5 out there. I am thinking that they may be eating the oats off the stems.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've already disked the food plots once. It was dry as a bone, and didn't get much penetration into the soil. Went over today and its perfect for round two.
Looking for Thursday at the earliest to get back in there.
Set out a camera and a couple bags of corn at one place to see if anything is in there yet. Saw some small tracks, but that was it.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My resident herd lays around the yard in the evening waiting to see if my wife will put out some sunflower seed for them. The cardinals work over the feeders during the day then the deer clean the feeders in the evening. LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom