Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went today to spray around the feeders and a corner that had grown up in Johnson grass.
Usually a covey of quail and some pheasant in that corner, but the Johnson grass took it over. Sprayed half of it with glyphosate, then I’ll take the brush hog over and mow the rest, leaving some strips for cover.
Going to have to kill it off completely next spring and then do it over and over all summer to kill the latent seeds that will sprout.
Then get some bluestem seed and other seeds that are good habitat for upland birds to put back in there.
Going to miss a season or two of bird hunting it, but it will come back.

98636d7de96cd32d4bc56967a287b731.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went today to spray around the feeders and a corner that had grown up in Johnson grass.
Usually a covey of quail and some pheasant in that corner, but the Johnson grass took it over. Sprayed half of it with glyphosate, then I’ll take the brush hog over and mow the rest, leaving some strips for cover.
Going to have to kill it off completely next spring and then do it over and over all summer to kill the latent seeds that will sprout.
Then get some bluestem seed and other seeds that are good habitat for upland birds to put back in there.
Going to miss a season or two of bird hunting it, but it will come back.

98636d7de96cd32d4bc56967a287b731.jpg

Visited the area I sprayed, and it was bone dead. Dropped off the brush hog and will go back tomorrow with the tractor to clean it up.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I tried to mow today. About a half mile away from my destination, looked in the mirror and saw smoke. I got shut down and saw a tire on the tandem trailer had thrown the tread and part of it wrapped around the axle stopping the tire.
Nobody will ever use an impact gun on my lugs ever again. I had to unload the tractor, and position a milk crate to support the 4 way, then jump on it to break the lugs loose. 45 minutes to just get the tire off. No spare, so left the tractor there and brought the trailer home to get a new tire on it tomorrow. Did get the food plot ready to plant, so just need to get some wheat seed and get it done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom