Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2 done on Sunday, has to do these two without the grain drill, too far to road it, too hard too haul it.
View attachment 411590
Food plot that big, I use one of these.

1695178976397.png

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-fertilizer-spreader-and-seeder

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 40lb 12v, still prefer the drill but still better than a hand crank seeder lol.
The small plot, I use the hand crank seeder, as it's only 1/2 acre, then lightly till it to cover the seed, but the bigger Salt Fork plot, the drill comes into play. I've got two drills one a JD 16' I'll never use again. I'll hang on to the 8 footer that's perfect for bigger food plots.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The small plot, I use the hand crank seeder, as it's only 1/2 acre, then lightly till it to cover the seed, but the bigger Salt Fork plot, the drill comes into play. I've got two drills one a JD 16' I'll never use again. I'll hang on to the 8 footer that's perfect for bigger food plots.
I know a couple people who might be interested in the 16' drill if you decide to let it go.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know a couple people who might be interested in the 16' drill if you decide to let it go.
I may want to. It was left over from the farming days. JD model C or D, can't remember. I have the original owners manual. Haven't used it in 4-5 years.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We use an atv spreader for 100lbs or less. Works pretty well. 3pt spreader for bigger jobs like lime and fertilizer. ATV Corn Spreaders & Seed Spreaders For Food Plots | Moultrie
Man, I put in many a food plot back in the day with this rig to seed and a 4’ section of antique spring tooth to disrupt the soil and cover it after seeding.
Mowed with a lawn mower before using the spring tooth.
I don’t miss those days. Still have the three wheeler BTW.

IMG_0041.jpeg

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I planted my food plots last Thursday and Friday and only received 0.09“ rain this week. Not enough to settle the dust. Imagine my surprise when I pulled up today to see I got this much up. Not all my plots came up to this good of a stand, but I have forage up on all of them. If I catch this rain with tomorrow’s storms, I should be in great shape.

IMG_4793.jpeg
IMG_4791.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I planted my food plots last Thursday and Friday and only received 0.09“ rain this week. Not enough to settle the dust. Imagine my surprise when I pulled up today to see I got this much up. Not all my plots came up to this good of a stand, but I have forage up on all of them. If I catch this rain with tomorrow’s storms, I should be in great shape.

View attachment 412731View attachment 412732
You probably mentioned it already, but what did you plant?

Latest posts

Top Bottom