Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You probably mentioned it already, but what did you plant?
The big field is wheat and Austrian winter peas, harrowed in.

The small field is BFO’s, winter peas and turnips. I harrowed that in, then broadcast ladino clover using wheat as a carrier. Since I don’t have a cultipacker, I drove over it all with the tractor to press it into the topsoil. If you look closely, you can see the tractor tread tracks. Seems to have worked because I found a lot of clover seedlings. I’ve got to have rain though or they won’t make it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The big field is wheat and Austrian winter peas, harrowed in.

The small field is BFO’s, winter peas and turnips. I harrowed that in, then broadcast ladino clover using wheat as a carrier. Since I don’t have a cultipacker, I drove over it all with the tractor to press it into the topsoil. If you look closely, you can see the tractor tread tracks. Seems to have worked because I found a lot of clover seedlings. I’ve got to have rain though or they won’t make it.
When planting mine last week there was some moisture still in the soil, so after hand broadcasting the seed, it was lightly tilled in, with some turnips. Then back dragged the plot with the bucket to compress the soil.
Figured it would help hold in the moisture, but turned out to be not necessary. The Weather peeps are saying the El Nino is gearing up to give Oklahoma a wet winter with above average snows, so I might try some clover again. Mine died in the drought, and the succeeding two dry summers made sure it didn't come back. I'll order some clover seed tonight and just broadcast it by hand to see if it will take. We are just too far west for most clovers to survive long term.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Planted the wheat and turnips a tad over a week ago and it’s looking awesome so far.

IMG_2101.jpeg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn’t going to, but I ended up planting 500 lbs of oats and about 10 lbs of DeerSlayer‘s 4x4 mix this morning. I’ve had hell with food plots up here between flooding or drought, and if this doesn’t do at least halfway decent, this will be my last time. Protein feeders don’t care if it rains or not.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Did one this afternoon for a friend. Dropped the mower in the plot at 5:23, didn't bring my tiller but another guy came with his while I hooked up the broadcaster. I broadcast, he pulled a drag and done by 6:30, and that included quite a bit of standing around visiting lol. His son shot his first archery buck off the plot last year so it's all worth it.

20231003_172346.jpg

20231003_175540.jpg
20231003_184247.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did one this afternoon for a friend. Dropped the mower in the plot at 5:23, didn't bring my tiller but another guy came with his while I hooked up the broadcaster. I broadcast, he pulled a drag and done by 6:30, and that included quite a bit of standing around visiting lol. His son shot his first archery buck off the plot last year so it's all worth it.

View attachment 416052
View attachment 416053View attachment 416055View attachment 416056
I know that plot!

Latest posts

Top Bottom