Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had wheat seed in the ground since the second week in September. The rain should get it going.
Still have a half drum left if it needs some reseeding.
Otherwise it's going to the field we are going to plant to put some steers on in the spring.
I'm not paying for hay to make the winter.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I walked one of my clover fields that looked dead and bare before this week’s rain and was pleased to see clover popping up everywhere. It’s small now but another shot of rain tomorrow evening and with fair weather, I should have green clover fields in a few weeks.
I'm not sure mine made it through the drought. The roots run pretty deep but I've got a 3lb bag to spread tomorrow for new growth before this expected rain. We aren't supposed to get more than 1.4" up here but I'll take it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm seeing a little green on my cellular game cam at one location, so hoping the wheat has germinated.
Probably head over there tomorrow to throw some clover seed as rain is predicted next week.
It isn't going to grow sitting in the bag in the shop.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like the first food plot is going to be a success. deer are starting to frequent. i have so many acorns still falling but they still seem to be browsing the plot. i planted deerslayers, 4x4
IMG_7507.JPG
IMG_7508.JPG
IMG_7509.JPG

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like the first food plot is going to be a success. deer are starting to frequent. i have so many acorns still falling but they still seem to be browsing the plot. i planted deerslayers, 4x4View attachment 314915View attachment 314916View attachment 314917
What's that green stuff in the bottom pic?? :) Our plots have gotten about 2" of rain over the last 2 weeks so should be sprouting up with some sunshine. Bet will be up pretty decent for rifle opener.

Latest posts

Top Bottom