???? for lawyers LEO's and anybody with any contracting experience or law knowledge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAMAGAN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A family member of mine paid (in advance) a rather large sum of money (nearly $2000) to a guy for some work to be done and the guy worked one day I guess and then left and hasn't returned. The question I have is this guy left some property of his at my family members house but will not answer and has not came back for it and the last time he was there was mid March sometime so what happens to his property? Its been almost a full month! I figure since he made off on the price he no longer cares about the property he left behind so would it be considered payment/refund since the work was not done or would it be considered theft if my family member gave it away or got rid of it or sold it in recoupment. If anyone knows a website I can go to for answers or can post a link or something to an Oklahoma law book that spells it out that would be awesome.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IANAL, so my recommendation would be to contract the services of one to do things, law way.

With that said, I believe you'd need to file a claim in court against the property, based on the unfufilled contract. You'd probably need to post a public legal notice and go through a specific process prior to converting the property. You might possibly also need to have said notice served to the derelict contractor, which would require a process server (or serve it yourself).

Liek I said, IANAL, so this may be incorrect. I'd advise them to proceed with caution.

Last edited:

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel injured reading your posts sometimes...

Careful, he'll charge you for it.

But, to get back on subject. What you're describing is going to be a civil matter. You will have to contact the attorney of your choice, seek their guidance and file any applicable charges or suits for damages, storage, breach of contract and all that stuff. If you don't already have an attorney, shop around. Some may give you an hours advice for free in the hopes of getting the case. Also ask about making the other party pay for your attorney fees and whatever fees for filing as part of the settlement so that you're out as little money out of pocket as possible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom