? for the duck hunters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WCMS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok im going to be duck hunting, just some decoys on a fairly big pond, and a couple blinds. I know i need a duck stamp, hip, but what is the difference between a hunting lincense and a waterfowl licenses that cost 10.00? i read that if you buy a combination hunting/fishing licenses you dont have to get the waterfowl licenses. can you just buy the waterfowl license,just hunt waterfowl and not have to buy a regular hunting licenses? or do i need a hunting licenses and a waterfowl, and then buy another hunting licenses next year...sure hope not. its getting pretty expensive to hunt these days.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok im going to be duck hunting, just some decoys on a fairly big pond, and a couple blinds. I know i need a duck stamp, hip, but what is the difference between a hunting lincense and a waterfowl licenses that cost 10.00? i read that if you buy a combination hunting/fishing licenses you dont have to get the waterfowl licenses. can you just buy the waterfowl license,just hunt waterfowl and not have to buy a regular hunting licenses? or do i need a hunting licenses and a waterfowl, and then buy another hunting licenses next year...sure hope not. its getting pretty expensive to hunt these days.

Sorry man - you need both the Oklahoma Waterfowl license as well as an Oklahoma hunting license (and a legacy permit - which is now included in the price of the hunting license). Hunting/Fishing combo license does not include or negate the need for an Oklahoma Waterfowl license if you plan on hunting ducks/geese.

You also need a Federal Duck stamp (has nothing to do with the state).

Also, if you're hunting during deer-gun season, you'll need an orange hat on the way to and from your blind (can't remember if the regs say this is a requirement on both private land as well as WMAs, but I believe it does).

www.wildlifedepartment.com

WCMS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
wow, this is geting ridiculous. since when is a hunting licenses and stamp not enough. i got on there website though and it said if you buy a combination than you dont have to get a waterfowl though. whats the lagacy permit for? they did not mention this on the website.

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taken from the DNR site.....

The Fishing and Hunting Legacy Permit was passed by the 2004 Oklahoma Legislature. The law authorized the Department to sell a $5 permit. The revenue generated from the permit is used to purchase, lease, or acquire easements for property to be used for public fishing and hunting.

In 2009, legislation was passed to incorporate this permit into an annual hunting and fishing licenses.

To date, four land acquisitions have been funded, in whole or part, with funds generated from the Legacy permit: the Lower Illinois River Public Fishing and Hunting Area, Cimarron Bluff WMA, Cimarron Hills WMA, and Drummond Flats WMA. Nearly 7,800 additional acres of wildlife habitat have been secured for sportsmen.

In addition, Sportfish and Wildlife Restoration funds were used to leverage license dollars in some of these purchases, enabling ODWC to stretch sportsmen’s Legacy dollars even further.

The price for all lifetime licenses sold beginning September 1, 2004, including 60 and over lifetimes, increased by $25, with the additional funds also being earmarked for this program. Once someone buys a lifetime license, they become exempt from the Fishing and Hunting Legacy Permit.

PJ

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make sure you read up on all the other duckin' rules too.... The fines can get pretty steep.

Duck limits, according to species, change from time to time. You need a HIP permit as well.... free from the site or 3 dollars at a store.

Don't forget to plug your shotgun magazine too!

PJ

Latest posts

Top Bottom