For the love of God....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Besides all that, if you get the down payment donated, then your lender has to wonder if youre going to be able to make the payments. You cant just hit up GFM every time you need money. Or can you? Hmmm......

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's unbelievable, people get themselves into a pickle, then decide to use gofundme to get them out of this one, and into the next one.

I've worked myself out of a lot of pickles in my life, and NEVER did I ask someone to bail my ass out of a situation I created...

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gave to a friend on GFM for her trip to Gana, India to do 6 weeks of "Humanitarian" work over there for some college credit program. She was asking for a total of $3k and almost got it. She went to Gana and posted lots of pics on her facebook page. I didnt see any humanitarian work, she was just hanging out with a native poor family making new friends. Then on her return, she took a detour to some fancy beach resort somewhere and posted pics of her lavish hotel room and beach pics. I'm the sucker.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gave to a friend on GFM for her trip to Gana, India to do 6 weeks of "Humanitarian" work over there for some college credit program. She was asking for a total of $3k and almost got it. She went to Gana and posted lots of pics on her facebook page. I didnt see any humanitarian work, she was just hanging out with a native poor family making new friends. Then on her return, she took a detour to some fancy beach resort somewhere and posted pics of her lavish hotel room and beach pics. I'm the sucker.

Yep. It has been my personal experience that the closer someone is "to the church" the more likely they are to pull one over on you ...

That is not to say there are not godly men and women out there. I know one couple that has lived in the same poverty those they were ministering to the whole time (YEARS, not days) they were in India ...

But ... David was always a little too "in your face" with his religion ... just check out his FB page ... it is fair to note here that even his family and friends know what he is like, given the massive argument that was on his FB page yesterday (that has miraculously disappeared) ...

Still didn't keep me from doing a few things for him over the years, none of which I felt compelled to share about because I did it out of the kindness of my heart.

My only regret is to have chosen so poorly when there are so many others out there who REALLY need help ... and do not make a second job out of snagging handouts ... or taking unscrupulous advantage of a situation.

His GFM page, and crap like it is why so many people just don't give at all anymore. It is really interesting ... and very telling ... that he asked for PR help on FB ... once he got that and "massaged" his page at least it wasn't downright fraudulent anymore ... to.me that just speaks to the fact that he understands what he is doing is not morally right ... and probably, in the strictest sense of the word, not legal ... but he just doesn't care.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. It has been my personal experience that the closer someone is "to the church" the more likely they are to pull one over on you ...

That is not to say there are not godly men and women out there. I know one couple that has lived in the same poverty those they were ministering to the whole time (YEARS, not days) they were in India ...

But ... David was always a little too "in your face" with his religion ... just check out his FB page ... it is fair to note here that even his family and friends know what he is like, given the massive argument that was on his FB page yesterday (that has miraculously disappeared) ...

Still didn't keep me from doing a few things for him over the years, none of which I felt compelled to share about because I did it out of the kindness of my heart.

My only regret is to have chosen so poorly when there are so many others out there who REALLY need help ... and do not make a second job out of snagging handouts ... or taking unscrupulous advantage of a situation.

His GFM page, and crap like it is why so many people just don't give at all anymore. It is really interesting ... and very telling ... that he asked for PR help on FB ... once he got that and "massaged" his page at least it wasn't downright fraudulent anymore ... to.me that just speaks to the fact that he understands what he is doing is not morally right ... and probably, in the strictest sense of the word, not legal ... but he just doesn't care.

Keep in mind, you have to be his "friend" to see all the good stuff.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind, you have to be his "friend" to see all the good stuff.

Well, I'm probably about to be unfriended then. No worries. I don't like being taken advantage of. Nor do I like folks thinking I condone that kind of behavior. If he was my son there would be a come to Jesus meeting going on right now ...

NEVER MIND that the house was not completely destroyed. (Do like that his GFM page uses the single worst photo they have, and leads you to believe they don't have anything left but a bull-dozed mess ... that's a nice touch ...) A front porch cover ripped off, a bit of the front roof and decking lifted, some ceiling falling in the living room and a little water damage do not equal a totally destroyed house in any definition of the phrase ...

oh and I forgot, the electric lines were pulled from the house and the conduit bent. We had that exact same damage one year (line lines pulled away and bent conduit) ... One quick trip to the hardware store, one quick trip out to OGE, lunch for the electrician neighbor and we were back in business the next day. Didn't even file an insurance claim ...less than $200 IIRC ...
He could have paid for that with that big wad of donated cash his co-workers gave him ...

Yeah, guys ... he posted about that on FB too ... and while "wad" is not the term he used live did say it was a substantial amount of money.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yeah, please keep me in mind too!

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't truly help someone by making it easier for them to make a bad situation even worse - you would be enabling bad behavior. The fact that he's setting this GFM page up to collect money for a down payment on a house, shows that his decision making is immature. Trying to purchase a house right now shouldn't even be a part of the discussion. Not trying to pile on, because I have also gone through tough times in the past - these are the times that try men's souls...and allows your wife and kids to sit back and see what kind of man you are. I wish his family the best, but that GFM page needs to disappear.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you can use money from a gofundme account for a down payment. I just bought a house and they were really strict about where the money came from. It couldn't just be from anyone and it couldn't be from someone we didn't know. We were given money for our wedding and it took a lot of work to be able to use it for our down payment on the house. There's a lot of rules/laws that govern down payments.

I'll admit I feel bad for the guy. But asking for a down payment seems a little much. I have no problem helping people in need.

Latest posts

Top Bottom