For the love of God....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I went next door yesterday to cut up my neighbor's downed tree, I wasn't asked to do it and I didn't bother to ask. He has a rare blood cancer and I know that physical exertion would be detrimental to his recovery. He and his wife are very responsible parents to two kids and they don't waste money on niceties, so I didn't ask to be compensated for my time and gas/oil.

I did have to bum a beer from him afterward, because my wife drank the last one in the house without telling me (WTF?).

Anywho, if your need is great and you're a decent person, God and those how know the measure of your character will provide. Posting a GFM asking for handouts seems like nothing more than a high-tech version of standing at the end of the freeway offramp with a cardboard sign. JMO, YMMV

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never gone to the G.F.M. site ever before today so I went there and looked, concentrated on local to me, Broken Arrow. It is what I thought it was- full of people needing help with surgeries, funerals, sick dogs, etc etc. And then there are people asking for money for pure BS. (Not many looking for help with a large house down payment tho). Neil Mitchel is almost half way to his goal of $2700 towards funding his new riding lawn mower- jebus what a mthrfr...

I would gladly donate and chip in towards a persons first month rent after a storm, but not a down payment on a house. I dont mind helping people, but they also have to try and help themselves.

I have been without a home temporarily a few times, each time it was after a divorce and luckily I was able to have slept in my shop or in my bands rehearsal studio as well as on friends couchs until I got into a new place and gladly I always have money in my pocket so I was just in transition and not exactly homeless. Plus I wasnt dragging around 3 1/2 kids. So I admitedly dont know much about what it is like to be totally homeless and with kids in tow and one on the way, Im sure its scary.

A house down payment tho, if Im correct, that is an asset, that is not exactly asking for help, thats asking for help in securing an asset. I can see why people here are a little taken aback by this.

A good friend moved to Moore not long ago from the Tulsa area and he and his new bride have been struggling there to make ends as well as fund round trip drives to St Louis and back to visit his little boy. He has had alot of bad luck since hes been in Moore with broken down vehicles, the storms, etc. But he is working it out. He is working part time as a bartender at DaveNBusters and as a late night DJ at The Katt.. He complains but he has not once asked for help.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Posting a GFM asking for handouts seems like nothing more than a high-tech version of standing at the end of the freeway offramp with a cardboard sign. JMO, YMMV

I mean at least those people only ask for change, and not the yearly federal poverty level for a single person.

Christ. When I bought the house I currently live in my yearly income the previous year wasn't much more than that...

I came out of a Dallas gas station on a road trip recently and my girlfriend was talking to a homeless guy sitting against the wall outside. Alcoholic old Indian. He never asked for anything, just gave us info about Dallas and asked about our road trip, jobs, etc. Told us his story. I offered to buy him something to drink and he refused (he had a tallboy inn his backpack), but said he'd take a dollar because he was saving money with a few of his friends to get a motel room for a night to shower and wash clothes in. I gave him a dollar then asked if he was hungry. NO NO NO this too much he said. I came back 10 minutes later with In 'N Out for him and he destroyed that cheeseburger. Lawl. Nice dude. 12K. Lawl.

cheese79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always been told that the right thing to do is to help those that cannot help themselves, i havent met many that could not yet... alot that will not or do not but not so many that really cannot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom