Forbes top 10 most conservative cities

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of people see it as optional, but I don't subscribe to that theory; its presence adds clarity, and English is convoluted enough without removing clarity. My recollection is that it was first deemed optional by newspaper editors, who eliminated it to save time and money when it came to typesetting, and, as noted above, it is still discouraged in journalism.

...which is another reason I adhere to the Oxford comma. What those butchers have done to the language over the last couple of centuries borders on criminal. They're almost as bad as autoincorrect.
I count them worse; autocorrect can be hilarious!

Autocorrect.jpg

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ain't used to be slang, not now. It's been added to the Webster's Dictionary many years back. Every year I see new popular words being added that were verboten in years past for proper english.

Which is why I still have an actual "book" dictionary with a copyright of 1954. That was back when words seemed to mean things.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which is why I still have an actual "book" dictionary with a copyright of 1954. That was back when words seemed to mean things.
It will probably come as no surprise to anyone that I have several, for varying purposes (including not one, but two copies of Black's Law Dictionary--a current one, and one several revisions old I acquired when I was given a large quantity of law books).

I still want a full set of the OED, though (the unabridged twenty-volume set). I don't have a real need for such a thing, but words are just fascinating to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom