Fords

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yep, square body 4 lyfe. i hate the huge trucks on the roads these days. if more guys drove smaller trucks, especially standards, i know they would love them. baby trucks like the mazda b series, or any of those import trucks, that gen of ford ranger used mazda engines, the s-10's were awesome, those trucks are really fun to drive. trust me, being able to PARK without k turning doesn't make you feel like any less of a man LOL, and you can still haul 4x8 sheets of goods.

3 in the tree takes me back fer sure.
I agree to a degree. I have a 1976 Ford Courier with a 4 banger Mazda engine that still runs great (4 on the Floor) This is a beater truck at our place in New Mexico. Fun to drive and has done a bunch of work over the years.

I have a 1993 Ford Ranger 4 banger with an 8 spark plug set up with 4 or the floor with overdrive. I love driving this pickup. It runs like a top and is easy to park and maneuver. I use it for running around and hauling light loads.

I have a 2020 Chevy 2500 with the gasoline 6.6 L automatic Quad Cab with an 8 ft. bed. It is a no frills work truck without all the bells and whistles such as OnStar or heated mirrors and seats, etc. This I use to pull trailers and heavy loads and long road trips. It mainly sits as I drive the 1993 Ford Ranger mostly.

As far Chevy vs. Ford vs. Ram, They all have their strong points and weak points. I have owned Fords and Chevys and couple Chrysler products. In the past I found Chevys the easiest to work on. I don't think that is the case anymore with all the newer vehicles. Never been a fan of Chrysler products.

I also have in New Mexico a 1985 Chevy 3/4 ton Van with 350,000 miles on it. I has a 5.7L original engine, transmission, and rear end. Still runs great.
I also have in New Mexico a 1999 Ford 3/4 ton Ford van with a 5.4L original engine, transmission, etc. The Ford has 330,000 miles and still runs great.

Recently sold a 2,006 Chevy 3500 15 passenger van with a 6.0 L engine that had 258,000 miles on it when I sold it. It ran great, but the paint job sucked. Paint would come off every time I washed it. Chevy used water based crappy paint on those vans. You can see them going down the road with paint missing, especially on the hoods.

I have had to do minor repairs on all the vans over the years and they have their strong points and weak points. The Ford has Twin I-Beam which I have never liked and it always wanted to wander. My experience with Twin I-Beam is one is always correcting going down the road to keep it going straight.

Attachments

• pickup2.JPG
    pickup2.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 30
  • pickup3.jpg
    pickup3.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 27
  • pickup1.JPG
    pickup1.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree to a degree. I have a 1976 Ford Courier with a 4 banger Mazda engine that still runs great (4 on the Floor) This is a beater truck at our place in New Mexico. Fun to drive and has done a bunch of work over the years.

I have a 1993 Ford Ranger 4 banger with an 8 spark plug set up with 4 or the floor with overdrive. I love driving this pickup. It runs like a top and is easy to park and maneuver. I use it for running around and hauling light loads.

I have a 2020 Chevy 2500 with the gasoline 6.6 L automatic Quad Cab with an 8 ft. bed. It is a no frills work truck without all the bells and whistles such as OnStar or heated mirrors and seats, etc. This I use to pull trailers and heavy loads and long road trips. It mainly sits as I drive the 1993 Ford Ranger mostly.

As far Chevy vs. Ford vs. Ram, They all have their strong points and weak points. I have owned Fords and Chevys and couple Chrysler products. In the past I found Chevys the easiest to work on. I don't think that is the case anymore with all the newer vehicles. Never been a fan of Chrysler products.

I also have in New Mexico a 1985 Chevy 3/4 ton Van with 350,000 miles on it. I has a 5.7L original engine, transmission, and rear end. Still runs great.
I also have in New Mexico a 1999 Ford 3/4 ton Ford van with a 5.4L original engine, transmission, etc. The Ford has 330,000 miles and still runs great.

Recently sold a 2,006 Chevy 3500 15 passenger van with a 6.0 L engine that had 258,000 miles on it when I sold it. It ran great, but the paint job sucked. Paint would come off every time I washed it. Chevy used water based crappy paint on those vans. You can see them going down the road with paint missing, especially on the hoods.

I have had to do minor repairs on all the vans over the years and they have their strong points and weak points. The Ford has Twin I-Beam which I have never liked and it always wanted to wander. My experience with Twin I-Beam is one is always correcting going down the road to keep it going straight.
Mine wanders and takes work to drive straight. I just assumed that was a part of the simple suspension. Camber changes when the suspension compresses. Probably needs that center bushing replaced every 60k miles and would be better.

I also have a 1st gen Tacoma 4x4. Freakish reliability. No parts replacement at all in 210k miles. 20 years old. Everything is the same except for one set of front shocks, belts and hoses, dome light and headlights, spark plugs and tires. Tires last a long time because it’s so small and light but has big tires. Hasn’t even had an alignment. Drives straight and smooth. Problem is, it’s slow and can’t pull anything on the highway. Barely pulls an aluminum boat.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since the late 80's I have owned Chevy, Ford and Dodge. My last three trucks since 2006 have been Ford. I currently own the last two of them along with two Mustangs. Chevy and Dodge let me down immensely. I mean, to the tune of thousands and thousands of dollars. My Fords have had no major issues and only a few very minor issues - some to be expected like brake jobs and so forth.

I swore I'd never buy another buy another GM or Daimler Chrysler vehicle, but I broke my own rule and did so in 2019. I needed a "big yellow vehicle" that could tow my yellow food truck and the only options seemed to be a Dodge pickup or a Hummer H2. I didn't really want a pickup so I went with the H2. A 2006 which I went and picked up from a teenage girl in Osage Beach, MO. I'd always wanted a Hummer but in addition to my ban on GM, in their "hey day" I owned a hip-hop nightclub and already had "image" issues of being a drug dealer and so forth (I wasn't) so I went with the Ford truck (SUV) instead.

I paid $14K for the H2 and have put about $6K in it to get it running and performing great, including a brand new AC. If I put another $5-10K in it it would be body and trim perfect but I cannot justify that for a work truck. If it retires as a work truck it'll probably just be an off road toy for me or it'll get pulled behind our likely forthcoming RV.

My dream car has always been an Escalade but I just don't think I can swallow spending that much money on a GM product. New ones are now in the $115K range and I just can't see my way toward that.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont drive my f350 in the winter because of our road crews belive in salting the (**** outa) roads (ohio) every time it sneezes a bit of snow, but a few weeks ago I had to move it to get a load of hay in the barn, so since the ground was frozen, I could not resist a lap or 3 around the pasture before putting it away!

F4213F5E-81F8-4CFB-BC4C-4A9AB73B9F0E.jpeg

In 2014, I was in a local plumbing supply joint getting a few supplies when some guy came in "WHO OWNS THIS BLACK TRUCK OUTSIDE?", he was rambling on about wanting to buy my truck, finally I told him "Buddy, I would not sell it for the sticker price!"

I guess at that point he finally got the picture that I did not want to sell!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My current 2020 F-250 with the 7.3 liter gas engine and 10 speed transmission will keep up with just about anything. We pull a 35' 5th Wheel weighing well over 16,000 lbs, 33,000 miles last year in 14 states through the mountains of the West.
I doubt anyone on this thread has put that many miles on their truck pulling that much load with only one issue. Ford was supplied defective spark plug wires by a supplier. We lost three of them NW of Dubois Wyoming last year. Limped into Butte Montana where the Ford dealership could not get us in for a couple of weeks. Nobody wanting to work and short handed so I bought the wires and installed them myself.
Coming home, I went to the selling dealership and asked for a return on the money I'd spent on the plug wires. The person in charge of warranty repair said they had never done that before but would try.
A month later I got a check from Ford paying me for owner performed warranty service. Was good with that.
My 82 Ford Bronco got a tad over 300,000 miles on it before selling it with minimal issues. I'm not seeing a problem on my side of Ford issues.

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve always driven Fords and will continue to do so. That said, I believe it all comes down to personal preference concerning brand. All vehicles perform much better and last much longer than they did 25+ years ago. I remember when the rule of thumb was to sell a vehicle before it hit 100K miles because if it was trouble free - it would not be for much longer. Today vehicles tend to last 200K with little to no mechanical problems.
I might be a little biased, but Fords just LOOK better!

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The o&g company I’m at has chevys, and has the 4 years I’ve been there as a contractor or fte.

I can’t justify buying a truck at 2020 prices much less the current even more insane ones.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my 2000 F350 in 2017 - I drive it everyday, and it's hauled everything from heavy loads of dirt/rock to a nice light kayak. With a 7.3 and 4 wheel drive I believe I can drag down a house if need be. I've had Chevys and Fords over my 40 year driving career and the top three for durability and dependability are :

1997 Ford Explorer
2007 Nissan Pathfinder
1994 Ford Ranger

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2011 F150. Bought it brand new and have not had any problem with it at all. I have changed the starter and tires once but other than that, it has been a great truck.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys now for the same price or less, you can have an older car or truck restored. Personally if I had the money, I would find a decent older truck, have the engine and trans either rebuilt or replaced, same for the rear end. A good paint job, new upholstery and tires, and I would have a truck every bit as good, if not better than a new one.
And you wouldn't have to worry about the body module communicating with the computer in order for it to start.

Latest posts

Top Bottom