Freezer in a Garage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our freezer is in the garage and has been for years.

One thing I would recommend is a chest type non frost free. While it is a bit of a pain defrosting once a year or so, your meat will stay good longer without the heating/cooling defrost cycle. Chest type also does not have to work as hard to keep things cold whenever you open the door.

Not my personal experience, but family experience agrees with this. Grandma and Grandpa have had their chest type deep freeze in the shed for about 20 years. Same freezer, still going strong. It's so old now, they don't have to defrost it quite as often, since it just doesn't build up anymore.

I wonder, though, at how good a new one would hold up like this. Seems like anything I buy new craps out so that I have to buy something newer. . .

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My parents have had the same freezer in their garage since I was a little kid. So it's been running strong at least 32 years. Theirs is a stand up but for what you mentioned, I would recommend a chest. The blocks of ice in 2 liter bottles is also great advice.

davisd2

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im in the Appliance business. No big deal for a freezer to be in the garage. Just decide on whether you want an upright or chest freezer,manual or frost free if you want an upright. PM me if I can help. We sale GE and Frigidaire freezers.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not my personal experience, but family experience agrees with this. Grandma and Grandpa have had their chest type deep freeze in the shed for about 20 years. Same freezer, still going strong. It's so old now, they don't have to defrost it quite as often, since it just doesn't build up anymore.

I wonder, though, at how good a new one would hold up like this. Seems like anything I buy new craps out so that I have to buy something newer. . .

Our old 1954 International Harvester freezer died a few years ago and we replaced it with a Frigidaire and it is holding up great so far. We had to special order to get a non frost free but it was worth it.

SwampPapa

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i got our 21cf don't know the make 4 years ago specifically to chill goats we butcher it sits in the workshop this whole time not a hickup. at a single time I get 3 field dressed goats in there or a complete 1/2 of beef, 1/2 a hog andd three turkeys the stacking is creative and no room for the ice jugs

Latest posts

Top Bottom