Deep freeze in my storage unit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I moved to a new storage unit, cheaper and 3x bigger. It has a power outlet that according to my lease agreement is for “trickle chargers, lights, and refridgerators/freezers”. So I was thinking…. I don’t have space in my garage for a deep freezer, why couldn’t I put one in the storage unit? Old lady is tired of finding dead animals in the garage freezer anyways. My concern is that the ones I have seen say that they need to be used in an ambient temp of 100° or less. I’m willing to bet my uninsulated, non climate controlled unit gets well over that in the summer. So maybe no deep freeze? What if I added a layer of insulation around it, say, made a box out of closed cell sheet foam, with a lid for the freezer to sit in? There would be an opening for exhaust of course.

Thoughts? Anyone done something similar?

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wouldn’t the heat from the compressor be trapped by the box? How will you know if the power goes out at the storage unit?
I would leave an opening to allow for exhaust, but otherwise the freezer would be enclosed in all sized by 1” or 1.5” closed cell foam.

My thought is that if I have enough stuff in the freezer it should be able to keep frozen for a day or two if we lose power. But that isn’t something I’ve really considered.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No insulation around it and yes it'll cool fine. The fuller the better. We did it for six months from about April to September when we were moving between houses in Texas and heat was in the hundreds. Storage units aren't air tight. They vent just fine.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Freezers have the condenser in the wall and needs to be able to transfer that heat away. Slapping insulation around it isn't going to let the heat escape.
Would the better idea be to provide a fan to move the air around the condenser walls?
Refrigeration is not a field I'm familiar with for the record, so my idea may be junk.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would the better idea be to provide a fan to move the air around the condenser walls?
Refrigeration is not a field I'm familiar with for the record, so my idea may be junk.
I'm not sure if it would be beneficial in a closed room. The idea is to have air exchange with cooler air. Swirling the same hot air probably isn't going to accomplish much.

On a hot day turn your AC to fan only and you'll get the same effect in your house.

mgssamn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen the temps of 110 for recommended high max room temp. (if you are interested in new one for sure.) Also, as you know it cools down at night,- so the inside bldg temp would be in your max range less than 8-10 hours of the day and only in the summer hot months that long when it is 80+ by 10 -11 am. I have had a freezer and a refrigerator in my always unconditioned garage for all my adult years with no issues. Granted, it probably doesn't get over 100 during hot days unless outdoor over 90-95 outside, It will be warmer than outside by 5-10 always. I assure you the storage unit will be warmer than my garage.

I am not saying you wont have problems, but might be just fine. I would not do anything other than put it in there. ( no added insulation etc. ) You must give it breathing room, and not pack it in.
If you are close to unit, check it every other day until you are comfortable. It would be a bonus if your storage shed has daytime shade, which most dont of course.
my son in law had freezer in his little uninsulated wood shed 12 x8 - in his back yard for 8 years before he moved from there. now in garage.

I am not expert, only a user. I would do it if I had a need.
Maybe a real refrigeration person could give you an answer you can trust.

Latest posts

Top Bottom