Furlough notice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is step one of making all Americans 100% dependent on the Govt. Step two he will will threaten to cut welfare, etc, and the 49% that don't work will go absolutely nuts!!!

Get riots started on a national level so he can declare a state of martial law on a national basis and then suspend the democratic process... I see where you're going with it and as much as I hate to say it I think that might just be the plan.

A riot in L.A. or NYC isn't enough you got to light the whole nation on fire for it to work.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing personal against anyone here, but the private sector has been struggling for the past 5 years.

My wife is a corporate officer who has been on the job almost 30 years in a still family owned offshore oilfield equipment manufacturing company who was getting regular 5 figure end of year bonus's 10 years ago when I first met her and now theyre like down to low 4 figures the last 4 or 5 years even though they have been just as busy or busier than they were 5 years ago. That is a large % reduction in income. She relied on those bonus's as part of her income/benefits package. Im sure knowing my wife she would never ***** about things because she at least has a job vs having a great job with good benefits and a 6 figure salary, but the point Im making is that no matter how much youre making when you take a 20% or more hit to your budget it hurts. I feel for anybody in any type of business or job taking a hit these days.

darth_ted_82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pisses me off. The 5% that sequestration was supposed to cut isn't even a freaking cut. In effect, all it actually does is stop the budget increase by 5%. The money in the budget that is available to pay out to all the coffers is not less. It's all a ruse by these pr*cks to continue fear-mongering and strong-arming. Completely unnecessary for the good folks to eat this one. How about the kill the contracts for the dbags mowing the ungrowing, dead grass on post; the contracts for the people who come around and try to take the garbage out of my trashcan at the office; the contracts for vacuuming the hallways and offices and mopping the entryways. Absolute f'n b*llsh*t. It is truly infuriating...

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It depends on your tax rate, my withholdings for taxes would have been nearly 41%.
If my employer had given me a 20% reduction my take home would have only dropped 12%

You were putting back 10% or more for retirement and savings like every financial planner advises weren't you?

I maximised my matching contributions at 15% of my pay from day one and never saw that money until I quit.

I know many people live check to check.

I hit a rough patch at one time where I couldn't afford to buy a happy meal, It made such an impression on me that I restructured my life to live on a fraction of what most people consider essential.

This isn't meant to say this is a good thing, only that you can weather this storm, if you batten down the hatches.
You can come out the other side ready to make sure this cannot hurt you in the same way again.

The government must restructure, Obama is just making this as harmful to as many people as possible to maximize the political capital he can milk from this.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. I think I will learn a lot about myself and the way I choose to live after this. I have been putting money back and trying to do right and get myself out of debt, then this jumps up and bites us. I wish I had been more RESPONSIBLE financially years ago, but I am what I am, and I am where I am right now, and I have to make it right and get by. Hopefully none of this crap actually happens(the furloughs anyways, we need some serious waste cut out of gov't spending). If it doesn't, I will be seriously reconsidering how we spend money/save and try to get better with all of it.

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The wife got her's today (FAA Employee) and her notice says 11 days. Which still sucks, but not as bad as the original 22 days they where talking about. And, since she is not in the Union, she may get to decide what days she actually gets to take off. I just keep telling her to make it the best situation for her and I will just put off buying more guns.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just keep telling her to make it the best situation for her and I will just put off buying more guns.

Best way to look at it there!

I don't believe my section of the FAA is going to be affected by the furlough...all of our hours have to be 100% service order funded (meaning we are funded directly from programs and work projects that receive funding at the beginning of the fiscal year)...but if I do end up getting furloughed, I'll just make the best of it.

Get stuff done around the house that I've been putting off after being on the road 6 months out of last year and half of this year so far.

Go eat lunch with my wife (30 minute lunches at the work bench when I'm at work in town or no lunch break when out of town!).

Bust the kids out of school early and take them shooting.

The possibilities are endless.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Who else got theirs today?
Heard a funny thing today. OKC Air Guard got our letters yesterday and heard that the Guard Bureau
told the DoD it had the funds to NOT need to furlough it's people. DoD ordered them to do it as ALL DoD was going to sit it out.
Last time we were this short funded, the Prez wanted the mil to go get some folks out of Iran....anybody remember how that wofked out???

wildcat04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DoD is taking the brunt of the sequestration cuts. Everything I have heard is 22 days for us, if it actually happens. I still think it is about a 50-50 shot right now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom