FYI- Kel Tec PMR 30 being featured tonight!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those of you interested in info on the Kel Tec PMR 30 .22 Win Mag...

American Rifleman on cable's The Outdoor Channel is doing a segment on the pistol tonight. The show will repeat several times so you should have a opportunity to see it.

Last edited:

xnavychief

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I record them all and watched that one today. It's genius how the ejection system has the floating barrel move to the rear .21" which allows enough time to cool before the ejector tosses the brass. With 30 rounds on tap and some hornady critical defense it would make a pretty cool gun to have around the house as well.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was impressive. No hic-ups or jams. I was surprised that it had a concealed hammer... instead of being striker fired.

Was the barrel travel to allow cooling or was it to reduce pressure on the bolt enough so that the extractor didn't rip the rim off of the case as the shell case was being pulled from the chamber? I understood that due to 'case friction', the barrel travel was so that the bolt would have time slow down in its rearward pull just enough so that the ejector didn't tear the rim right off the case coming out of the chamber.

xnavychief

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both I suppose, I know that the case expansion after heating is slightly larger and sticks in the barrel for a microsecond or so until cooled which is 1/2 the reason most fast extractors fail on rimfires. The barrel also sits in that block that they showed which allows for front & rear travel when being pushed & pulled by the bolt. Whatever the mechanics, pretty cool stuff! The only downside I see(very small one) is that the windage adjustment is banging the front blade side to side. I bet aftermarket rears will be available soon though if current ones don't already fit it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom