G17 v G19 v G26 for home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the 19 myself for all uses out of those 3 choices, except maybe summer carry, but that’s not the question

The 19 is big enough for duty carry , small enough to conceal easily during jacket season, 15 round mags stock

the 19 is just fine

— and so is the 17’ . 26 also. For Hd , just make sure both you and your wife/partner shoot it well

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Assuming you can make any of these guns have the mag/handle length you prefer by using an x-grip, the main factors come down to noise and ability to get on target in close quarters.

Is there any appreciable noise difference between any of these if fired indoors, AND is the G17 too long to maneuver indoors and get on target?

My current thought is if you want a light/rail, the G19 wins out (or G45/19x). What say you?

wouldn’t the 17 have a longer light rail area? (Serious question, I don’t have one for comparison sake, - do have a 20, but That’s a completely different group frame)

The 17 is not too long - I mean, people use pump shotguns and M4’s - but I like the way the 19 handles better than the 17

id say take your pick, buy a bunch of ammo (and shoot it) , then defend your purchase as If it’s the only logical choice and best choice ever, with exclamation points !
(until the next Newest Glock/Sig/colt/ hk etc comes along and then you proclaim that to be the bestest choice ever. Ever!! )

Basically I’m saying that there’s not a bad pic/m amongst those three as long as you train with it

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I must really be a simpleton... I've never really pondered whether a G17/19/26 would be the best gun for inside the home. They're all the same gun with a little longer barrel/grip/sight radius between the 3. It never occurred to me it was such a complicated decision.

Since it is a complicated choice I'll just stick to the Ruger 57 and an AR. And a shotgun. I'll grab whatever I'm closest to should the need arise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom