G98/40--wondering if anyone knows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Physocles

Marksman
Reaction score
I inherited a G98/40 from my grandpa that he insisted was sporterized from the factory. I didn't believe him until he pulled out an old gun guide and showed me the listing--exactly the same rifle with the same diamond inlaid stock--I don't remember which guide, or whether the category was in the Mannlicher, Hungarian Military, or another category. Is anyone familiar with this or have come across a guide with this listing?

I'd post pictures but the rifle was stolen a half decade ago.

silverarrow

Marksman
Reaction score
I had a 98/40 when I collected milsurps and I remember that it and Hungarian 43, and M1935 were all military firearms. I have heard of sporters made right after WWII . There is the possibility of one going out the back door at the factory. Again in the 1940's when these were made , it was for the war effort.

Themauserkid

Marksman
Reaction score
The Hungarian factory that produced 98/40’s did produce a commercial hunting rifle on that action, they are quite rare, I believe I have seen two ever. However, what you are mentioning sounds like a listing from a catalog of an American retailer that sold a “sporterized” version of a 98/40. The mention of an inlaid diamond makes me think 1950’s/60’s and would not appear on the 1940’s rifles that I mentioned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom