Game Camera for home security?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm considering a game camera for use as a security camera to keep an eye on my shop area, but I know practically nothing about them.

A few questions...

1. Any recommendations on specific models that would plug into my computer (PC) with a USB cable to view the images?

2. Do their heat/movement detectors work through a glass window?

3. What range do they have? My shop is probably 60-70 ft from the nearest house window.

4. How long do the batteries last?

#4 is really not an issue if they'll work through a window, as I could power it with an AC/DC adapter.

Thanks. :)

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a stealthcam no glow infrared camera to monitor my driveway. The way my house is situated vs a tree nearby, If they pull up to the garage, I get a great view of their tag number, and anybody getting in or out of the vehicle. Have it set to a three shot burst. About 1 second between shots in the burst.
You want the no glow, because the infrared emitters on some cameras will glow red just before taking the pic, and are noticeable to the eye. Battery life is about a month. I get our vehicles and us in the thousand or so pics every month. It uses an SD card that you can remove, and put in your computer with an adapter to view the pics. I think the Game cams I use are 12 Mega pixel, you get some good resolution. the lenses are wide angle, so at a distance, it's not totally sharp.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, but there are some discontinued models listed there.

Does Primos have a website? Maybe my google-fu is just off tonight...

Attachments

• IMG_2749.JPG
    IMG_2749.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 93

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check the hunting section as well for reviews. Everyone likes/dislikes brands so I'm not sure there really is a "best" camera. I personally use cheap Wildgame Innovations with no problems and have use it to watch the porch during holiday deliveries. No glow would be good, some have cell ability so you get text pictures. I run mine with an external battery hooked to a solar panel and it stays charged the whole hunting season. A cheap video security camera could also be good and cheap.

berserk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm considering a game camera for use as a security camera to keep an eye on my shop area, but I know practically nothing about them.

A few questions...

1. Any recommendations on specific models that would plug into my computer (PC) with a USB cable to view the images?

2. Do their heat/movement detectors work through a glass window?

3. What range do they have? My shop is probably 60-70 ft from the nearest house window.

4. How long do the batteries last?

#4 is really not an issue if they'll work through a window, as I could power it with an AC/DC adapter.

Thanks. :)

I had the same thought, there was a lovely meth addict stealing scrap metal piled behind my dads shop and hitting everyone else in the allyway. I figured it was only a matter of time til he broke in the shop so I bought a game cam and installed it in the rafters of the shop facing the inside of the door.

It sucked, I checked it a few days later and found it only captured my image once or twice because it didn't react fast enough before I walked out of frame. When it did it wasn't good enough resolution to make out my face, and the pic looked way farther away than I was. Payed 80$ from Cabelas and took it back for the refund.

Instead I got a used dvr from friend and two cameras from amazon and have been way happier.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. :thumb:

So Walmart carries Primos... guess I should check there and Atwoods to see what's available locally. :doh:

Cell phone related stuff is pretty much off the table. We only have a pay-as-you-go flip-phone (no internet), and rarely turn it on. Mostly got it for "on the road" use and emergencies.

That's why I wanted USB upload capability to a PC computer, but I guess we could get an SD card reader if necessary.

I do have a black and white security camera (RCA cable), but it's not connected to a recording device, and only lets us see when someone comes in the front yard (there's no window in our den).

It just seems like a game camera with USB would cut out a good bit of hardware. ;)

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Card reader is more for convienience in the field. I just use my laptop or wait and look at the card when I get home. The only thing I would be concerned about using a game camera is if they see it and take it. But you could build your own lock box for it also. I normally pick up my cameras, batteries, solar panels from Academy, but Walmart has the stuff too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom