Garage Floor Epoxy? Done it or had it done?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive thought and thought about doing it...At my first shop I decided against it because I wasnt sure how it would last, or if it was patchable...ended up going with VCT tiles

Now i've got a 2nd shop that needs something, but the size makes it really unaffordable for anything...

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've considered it but don't have the funds to do it yet. My neighbor didn't prep well and has a lot of spots and some rather large holes missing. My garage is very smooth (ice skate with a bit of water) so I'm not sure how hard it will be to prep it and get the epoxy to stick. I might ask around at work and see what was used for our test lab.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go hang out on garagejournal.com, there is a lot of info about floors over there.

I'm going to go with porcelain tile on mine instead of paint, will wold up much better to everything I do in the garage.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go hang out on garagejournal.com, there is a lot of info about floors over there.

I'm going to go with porcelain tile on mine instead of paint, will wold up much better to everything I do in the garage.

I have thought about tile as well, but will tile hold up to parking vehicles? And what about the grout?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

DrBaker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Shoot Summ beat me to it. I have read many threads in the flooring section of the Garage Journal Forum. I'm currently building a new home and will either use porcelain tile or VCT.

If you choose to move forward with epoxy, as already stated, prep work is critical. On Garage Journal there are many perfectionists and most tend to have at least some problems with their epoxy floors.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
I would take my floor machine and diamond grind it to open it up and get rid of the slick finish on the concrete.
I paid to have mine done and wish that I had ground the surface prior to the muratic acid etching. You can rent the machines to grind the surface.
If you pay to have it done request references and examples of their workmanship!

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your responses. I think Home Depot quoted me $250 to rent the buffer with the new pad I would need. Pretty expensive I thought...

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your responses. I think Home Depot quoted me $250 to rent the buffer with the new pad I would need. Pretty expensive I thought...

The end product is all about the prep, don't scrimp on the prep. The diamond buff/grinder pads are expensive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom