Garbage Disposal question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I bet its stuck or needs reset. I have fixed several over the yrs that my mother in law breaks or sticks. She crams everything down them. Really it's easier to just throw garbage in the garbage but noooo she like putting egg shells, potato skins, meat, etc etc in them. It's weird .
They also rust together but you can take it out and break it free and oil it

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
post 7 stated it is toast.

I have unclogged many pipes from people (my women relatives) sticking all kinds of crap /food down the disposal.
Those same people overload a washing machine and dryer.. I don't get it.

I tell people if you can pick it up with your hands or fingers then stick it in the trash can not down the pipes.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup, it's toast. There's a hole a bit bigger than 1/4" in diameter (see below) in the metal collar between the funnel and the motor. Picked up a new ISE Badger 500 1/2hp to replace the holed Badger 5 1/2hp, and all is good now.
disposal_hole.jpg

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've covered the spectrum of disposers over the years. For your case, I would go with a lower end unit. You won't realize the difference in cost for an occasional use unit.

The last one I installed was an ISE Evolution, it is unbelievably quiet but has a $174 price tag.

One thing I finally got my family to realize is that you don't dump everything down the disposer. Stop by the trash can and scrape off all of the big stuff, then rinse the plates. Regardless of septic or city sewer, this is much better for your plumbing.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago my wife dumped some overage rice krispies down the disposal. The cereal got through the disposal and turned into a rock in the drain pipe. We were living in a sort of hotel at the time, and the maintenance guys who fixed it were old friends. They never let her hear the end of this.

When replacing disposals, I have always gone for more power and higher quality. Paid off for me in the long run.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This reminds me of the post 1 member made a few years back. It was a comical story, not sure if a true story or not, but it was a story about his wife shoving the majority of a leftover roast through the disposal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom