gardian angel.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheese79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have started many times to tell this story here and then decided to keep it to myself but after telling family memebers and close friends and even turning some people that are totally put off by guns to go and get some practice and even get their ccl, I think its good to share with everyone.

To start I always have a gun with me but usually stays in my truck within arms reach. Most of the time it is in my truck because my job does not allow me to have it on my person while I am at work. I usually get to work around 5:45ish in the morning and usually stop at my local QT in the morning to get gas or a tea or whatever i need that morning.

A few weeks ago I stop to get some gas around 5:30 just like every day but that day something told me to make sure and put your gun in your pocket. I love my little J frame it fits so nicely... anyways I can honestly say that I dont always listen to those voices but today it was different. I cant explain why or how but it just was. so in my pocket it went. Put my credit card in the gas pump and stood there waiting to spend my $80 for the week. I heard someone yell from across the street I didnt really notice what they said but it was loud enough to get my attention. Now you have to undersand the area of town I work in it is not uncommon for some poor person to be drunk or high or whatever they are at that time of the day and walking around aimlessly talking to themself. So I didnt really pay him anymind. He got in the parking lot and said "hey you are going to give me some money." I turned around and "nicely" told him he was mistaken and to go and have a nice day.

I will leave out the bad language but you can add what you would think you would hear if you would like.

He got maybe 20 yards from me and said again"you are going to give me some money or I will just take it from you." I am 6'2 and weigh about 290 so I like to think I can hold my own and would think that most people would just jump up to me unless they were not in there right mind. Again I told him as "nicely" as I could that maybe he had the wrong person and he should go on his marry way. "F you white boy, I am going to kill you, take your money and your pretty little jeep."

That was all that I needed to hear. I had no idea if he was armed or what and wasnt going to take a chance that he was just talking out of his butt or not. I took a step or two back and away from my truck and put my hand in my pocket and got a firm grip on my gun.I have always heard that in times like that people have moments of extreme clarity and times seems to almost stop. I can remember telling him not to take another step closer or he was about to have the last bad day he would ever have. Then my mind started racing about if I was really ready and prepared to defend myself and if I really thought I was fearful for my life and if he would just change his mind and go on or what. He put his hands in his jacket pocket and that set off the rest of the red flags for me. I pulled my wepon and took aim. Turned on my laser site focused and seen the little red dot glow brighter than I have ever seen right in the middle of his eyes. I told my self if he takes one more step pull the trigger. I didnt think it was possible but I was totally prepared to save myself and end this fools life..... Luckly he was not so out of his mind that he knew what was going on and saved himself and turned and ran off.

I have always thought of myself as a pretty damn good shooter but anyone that has ever shot with a laser can tell you how bad your hands really shake when the little dot is out there to show you just how bad but I dont remember that dot moving at all....

After he was out of sight I finished pumping the gas and walked in the store to get a drink and check my drawers to make sure they were still clean. As soon as I opened the door the little guy in the front told me that whas the coolest thing that he had ever seen. I couldnt say a word. I just nodded and went into the bathroom to clear my thoughts. Came out and fixed a drink but then my adrenaline or whatever it was left and I started to shake.... it was so bad I still couldnt talk or put my drink down without spilling it all over the place. He just laught and told me not to worry about the drink it was on the house. I could finally get some words out and asked if he thought we should call the cops or not and that I had a ccl. He said that samething that I would by saying no that he was pretty sure that guy wasnt going to run and tell anyone that he just had a gun pulled on him.

I can say that is the scarest moment of my life and I am so glad that I dont have to live knowing that I took the life of another person but on the other side I am glad that I had my gun with me and never second guessed myself on if I would use it or not.

Sorry for the long post and on my poor story telling but maybe this will help someone to 1 always be ready and 2 listen to those little voices sometimes..

Thanks and have a wonderful day

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Glad you're ok and thanks for sharing. Sharing stories like these can only be a benefit to those who read. I'm sure there are those who go thru the same routine every morning like you did, at the gas station or whatever, and get complacent because they've never had any trouble before, and their CCW is in the truck and not on their person. Quite a wake up call, I'm sure. Thanks again for sharing.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's nice to hear a positive outcome.

For the LEOs here; should the law be called when this happens? Whether the guy says anything or not, should the police be called, if nothing more than to have them keep an eye out for this guy? In the future, the woman who may be filling up at the gas pump may not be armed. He didn't seem to have a problem approaching the 290lb man.

cheese79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know I thought about that too but honestly I could have told you what he looked like if i had too I just remember brown eyes with a glowing red dot...

and that is what scares me the most i am just so glad it didnt happen to my wife or mother or sister or someone that was not prepared or that would have had no way to protect or defend themselves.

okwarren

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stories like this persuade me to get my CCL. However my new job has gunbuster signs posted, so during the time of day in which I would actually need it, I can't have it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's nice to hear a positive outcome.

For the LEOs here; should the law be called when this happens? Whether the guy says anything or not, should the police be called, if nothing more than to have them keep an eye out for this guy? In the future, the woman who may be filling up at the gas pump may not be armed. He didn't seem to have a problem approaching the 290lb man.

Technically, yes. They could put out an APB and possibly stop the guy from hitting on someone else. Particularly in this case, since you has a sympathetic witness. Solo, it's a tougher call. The police, at least initially, tend to favor the complaintant (1st person to call 911). That gets more solid if the subject of the call has priors.

You'll occasionally run across an officer that's not pro-ccw or is annoyed they have to do paperwork with no one to cuff. For the most part though, cops around here are pro gun and want the dirtbags off the streets, even if it's just a few hours.

Glad the OP is ok, and I ALWAYS listen to the little voice. It hasn't failed me yet! :)

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I guess one way to decide whether or not to call the police would be deciding what your emotions would be if you later heard on the news someone else was robbed or carjacked by someone matching their description. It has always been my belief that lowlife scum like this do not learn life lessons very well. He probably ran off thinking how "lucky" you were that he didn't use his "gat" on you.

I would be curious what QT this was if it is located in BA. I only ask because I fuel my work truck at QT every morning around 4:00 to 4:30am

Latest posts

Top Bottom