Gas prices on the climb.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
China wants the Yuan to be the new international business currency vs the dollar.
it is called the world reserve currency. if country A buys oil from country B the country B has to pay for the oil in U.S. dollars. that means that country B has to buy our debt and pass it on to country A. this gives the U.S. a tremendous advantage.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Oil prices suffer biggest one-day drop in over a month despite historic fall in crude inventories​

William Watts​

Last Updated: Aug. 2, 2023 at 3:15 p.m. ET
im-316502

Storage in focus.​

Johannes Eisele/Agence France-Presse/Getty Images
A historic drop in U.S. crude inventories wasn’t enough to lift oil futures Wednesday, with the U.S. and global benchmarks suffering their biggest one-day declines in more than a month.

Price action​

• West Texas Intermediate crude for September delivery CL00, 0.28% CL.1,0.28% CLU23, 0.28% fell $1.88, or 2.3%, to end at $79.49 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange.
  • October Brent crude BRN00, +0.22%BRNV23, +0.22%, the global benchmark, dropped $1.71, or 2%, to settle at $83.20 a barrel on ICE Futures Europe. WTI and Brent each saw their biggest one-day percentage decline since June 27, according to Dow Jones Market Data.
  • Back on Nymex, September gasoline RBU23, 0.12% fell 3.4% to $2.776 a gallon, while September heating oil HOU23, +0.34% lost 0.6%, finishing at $3.004 a gallon.
  • September natural gas NGU23,+0.08% closed at $2.477 per million British thermal units, down 3.2%.

Market drivers​

The Energy Information Administration on Wednesday morning reported that U.S. crude inventories dropped by more than 17 million barrels in the week ended July 28. Gasoline inventories, however, rose by nearly 1.5 million barrels, while distillate stocks fell by 800,000 barrels.

Analysts surveyed by S&P Global Commodity Insights, on average, had forecast the EIA to show crude inventories fell 3.7 million barrels last week. Gasoline stocks were expected to show a drop of 1 million barrels, with distillate inventories down 400,000 barrels.
“Oil prices are falling as the macro backdrop is killing sentiment,” said Edward Moya, senior analyst for the Americas at Oanda.
A downgrade of the U.S. credit rating to AA+ from AAA by Fitch Ratings was seen as a negative for overall market sentiment. Treasury yields were on the rise as the Treasury Department detailed plans to increase supply. Rising debt yields lifted the greenback, with the ICE U.S. Dollar Index DXY up 0.3%.
See: Fitch cuts U.S. credit rating: Here’s what you need to know
Advertisement
“Also weighing on oil is a strong dollar that won’t be going away anytime soon as Treasury yields surge given the increased total of debt sales that will be coming from the Treasury,” Moya told MarketWatch.
It was the combination of robust crude exports and strong refinery runs that yielded the largest draw to weekly U.S. crude inventories on record, said Matt Smith, lead oil analyst for the Americas at Kpler.
“This is very much a timing issue: peak summer refining activity has coincided with very strong end-of-month exports, and draws of such magnitude should not be expected going forward,” he said.
The American Petroleum Institute, an industry trade group, late Tuesday reported a 15 million barrel drop in U.S. crude inventories last week, according to a source citing the data, while gasoline stocks fell 1.7 million barrels and distillates were down 512,000 barrels.
The API report had signaled a large crude draw, with set up “a case of buying the rumor and selling the fact for WTI,” which headed lower after running into technical resistance, Smith said.
Meanwhile, a Bloomberg survey released Tuesday showed output by the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, or OPEC, dropped by 900,000 barrels a day in July, the lowest since 2020. Saudi Arabia led the decline with a drop of 810,000 barrels a day, bringing production to 9.15 million barrels a day.
Saudi Arabia previously announced it would extend its production cut of 1 million barrels a day through August. Many analysts said they expect it to announce later this week that the cut will continue through September.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And yet we have the oil reserves and production capabilities to be independent of foreign oil. Thus improving our standard of living, securing our freedom and countries security.

Naaaaa lets put a senile Demetia ridden old man in office and use him as a puppet to destroy everything that made this country great while he enjoys kickbacks from the ukraine and china and his son thumbs his nose at every law he can and walks free while a witch hunt continues on a former president who was working for us the people and making this country great again.

Are you really better now than from 2016-2020?

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I drove my Ford Van I built for 13 years and it finally developed a miss which was one valve needed lapped or seat recut.
Gas was inching up and I was getting killed at 17.6 average MPG sometimes 16.7 MPG.

I mocked it up for a Small block chevy to replace the built 306" Ford that was in it.
Gas hit 4 bucks a gallon and i scrapped it all out and bought a Geo Metro 3 cylinder.

Wife was driving the Corolla.
Ended up getting a Vibe for her same 1.8 liter engine as the corolla 30 MPG for the Vibe 33-35 for the corolla.
Lot of my friends with new trucks can't get that 16 to 17 my Van got.
These higher and higher gas prices are a wallet drainer for sure.
My old 2008 F150 with the 5.4 gets between 17-18 mpg. Good old truck. Rolled over 200,000 not to long ago.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On election day 2020, bench mark crude oil was in the $30.00 to $40.00 per bbl rang, 87 octane gasoline, with 10% alcohoil, was under $200 per gal. and both had been stable in that range for over three years! The REASON for this was, President Trump had made policy decisions, drtilling on government land, pipeline construction, etc. that allowed us to be energy indenpendant for the FIRST TIME in 50/60 years, under both parties leadership REMEMBER? Being energy independent, and being the worlds largest consumer, gave us the power to set world crude oil prices!! Biden on his VERY FIRST DAY IN OFFICE, WENT ON TV, AND CANCELED ALL PRESIDENT TRUMPS OIL POLICIES, THAT MADE THIS POSSIBLE, AND THAT GAVE OPEC BACK THE POWER TO CONTROL WORLD CRUDE OIL PRICES, AGAIN!! I CAN'T HELP BUT WONDER HOW MUCH IN BRIBES OPEC PAYED THE BIDEN CRIME FAMILY, FOR THAT FAVOR??
Problem is the democrat sheep have their false religion of global warming that they are willing to destroy the country in order to supposedly save it. Fecking morons. The sky is falling. The sky is falling we have to do something.

Latest posts

Top Bottom