Generator problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Use Mobil-1 in everything except motorcycles. Motorcycles use Amsoil synthetic.

Have a riding lawnmower that is 22 years old and been using Mobil-1 10w-30 since the break-in. Runs great - no leaks - uses no oil - Briggs & Stratton Twin cylinder. This lawn mower has seen many hours over the years.

I have no issues with synthetic.

My neighbor who grew up with a father and mother that owned a small engine repair business and has worked on many small engines runs synthetic oil in everything, including using Stihl 2 cycle synthetic oil in mixed gas.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate all the responses. I didn’t know that about using synthetic oil. That’s what I run in it. Well from everything y’all have said I think this is way above my head. I don’t know jack crap about these engines. I sure don’t know anything about pulling it apart. I wouldn’t know where to start. So if the seal is bad I’m guessing it’s inside and cannot be seen without taking the engine apart? Also, this engine has less than 150 hours on it. That’s the sick part.
Now would be a good time to learn some mechanics. Lots of YouTube videos on how to repair this brand of generator.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not using synthetic oil comes from break in time on any new engine. Any rebuilt or new engine specific instructions to change after 500 miles, and then the next 5 oil changes use conventional oil before switching to synthetic. Synthetic doesn't allow the rings to seat properly, or so they say, and I've been hearing that consistently for 40y.
This is along the lines of what I've read and been told. It makes sense to me. I do switch to synthetic in cars but only after they are well broken in. I don't use synthetic in small engines, right or wrong.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a tool that will come in handy for frozen pipes is an electric Heat Gun. I have one that I use more than I expected. I mainly got it to use on shrink insulators for electrical connections but it is great anytime you want some flameless heat.
I had broken pipe threads in a pitless adapter and the heat gun came in handy for that too.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
" Have a riding lawnmower that is 22 years old and been using Mobil-1 10w-30 since the break-in. Runs great - no leaks - uses no oil - Briggs & Stratton Twin cylinder. "

The problem may not be that synthetic oil is being used, as much as that small engines these days are just not built as well as they used to be. As with most things these days, they are not designed to last long past the relatively short warranty period.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Freddie K, get yourself a shop manual, and get with the internet if needed. I have a history of working on small engines and some of the newer engines are confusing. I took my Honda Garden Tractor to the Honda dealer and mentioned that the timing belt is required to be changed and they said they'd have to pull the engine!
I bought a shop manual, pulled the engine and did the job myself. They'd have charged me into next month had aI let them do the job. That was four years ago and no telling what they'd charge today with the created inflation.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I went by a small engine shop here in town today and showed him the video of the engine leaking. He said that it looks like it’s the rear main seal that is bad. He didn’t want to fix it. He said it is a really “intensive” repair since he has to take everything apart. I don’t know about all that. So I am going to buy another portable generator so i have one to run my house, and then I’m gonna try and fix mine. If I am able I will give it to my parents. I have looked at many different generators and have came to the DuroMax XP13,000EH dual fuel model. It can run gas or propane. It also comes path the regulator and hose for the propane. I have three 100 pound propane tanks for my fireplace so I can use those.
It is currently on sale on Walmart.com for $999. It’s normally $1499. I’ve done alot of research on it and they have really good reviews.

And by the way, my manual says that I can use synthetic oil in the generator.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
So I went by a small engine shop here in town today and showed him the video of the engine leaking. He said that it looks like it’s the rear main seal that is bad. He didn’t want to fix it. He said it is a really “intensive” repair since he has to take everything apart. I don’t know about all that. So I am going to buy another portable generator so i have one to run my house, and then I’m gonna try and fix mine. If I am able I will give it to my parents. I have looked at many different generators and have came to the DuroMax XP13,000EH dual fuel model. It can run gas or propane. It also comes path the regulator and hose for the propane. I have three 100 pound propane tanks for my fireplace so I can use those.
It is currently on sale on Walmart.com for $999. It’s normally $1499. I’ve done alot of research on it and they have really good reviews.

And by the way, my manual says that I can use synthetic oil in the generator.
Well sure it does, that's how they sell more parts................. :thumbup3: Just messing with you, glad you found something. Good luck with your seal replacement, always fun to learn new things.

Latest posts

Top Bottom