Getting rid of primer pocket crimps...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well its been about 2 days since ive been able to come up with another reloading tool/item that ive decided I have to have now.. lol

Got a lot of LC brass already, and more coming in.. so I need an efficient method of gettin rid of the military style crimps in the pockets.. Efficient. lol

Best thing ive seen so far is the RCBS primer pocket swager die... Im leaning towards this for my hornady single stage.. Anybody have any input or suggestions about it? Im thinking it would be the best cost/time/energy ratio..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hornady case prep trio.
You can buy carbide cutters that will remove the crimp, and deburr the inside and outside of the neck in one operation.
I've used the RCBS swedge die. It's ok, but not very efficient if your doing a large volume.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best thing ive seen so far is the RCBS primer pocket swager die...

DO NOT BUY IT!
i got it for some LC brass in .308 and some military 30-06....SUCKED!
i ended up using the deburring tool..it actually worked faster and better.
After using the rcbs junk i still could not install primers in any of the LC05 .308 brass without smashing and destroying the primers.

Deburring tool is all i use now

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to Ace hardware and buy a 3/8" 90° countersink, chuck in your drill and go at it, remove just the crimp and leave a small chamfer around
the mouth of the primer pocket.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got about 5 different tools including the rcbs pocket swage tool, the very best to me is the Dillon. I don't personally like cutting away any of the primer pocket as with chamfering, just my personal phobia.. You do have to be careful as to how you adjust the Dillon, you can actually make the pockets loose if you jam it in too far...

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That dillon rig is gorgeous ... I started researching it yesterday..

But honestly, is it worth it to cough up the 100 bucks for a pocket crimp removal tool? That seems a little bit excessive?

Now, take in mind... im asking that question because I want the justification you give yourselves-- I think ive pretty much justified to myself its worth it spending the cash on the dillon SS.. lmao

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, you only have to use it once on each peice of brass. If you buy a lot of used brass you will get a lot of crimped stuff. It will negate some of the savings from the used brass but I like mine. That would be one piece of reloading equipment that it might make sense to share with your friends to help get your moneys worth out of it. I will someday buy a lot more used brass than I now have and the Super Swage and the Rapid Trim make easy work of it.

I had doubts about the rapid trim because of the limited number of dies that Dillon sells for it but I now know that www.ch4d.com sells rapid trim dies for almost any case you can imagine. Even some of the shorter cases that don't stick out of the top of the press can be trimmed with a shell holder extension. They even make Rapid Trim dies for a whole lot of wildcat cases. I am going to buy more dies.

If you want justification that I used it is because it will make the job easier. The Rapid trim is sooo easy to use and the Super Swage is great too. They are easy.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on how many rounds you're going to reload. I have several 5 gallon buckets full of brass. I have both the RCBS tool and the Dillon tool. I use the RCBS tool by hand to check and see if the crimp needs removed. If it doesn't it goes into a bucket. If it does, it goes into another bucket and on to the Super Swage later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom