Getting rid of unwanted visitors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had good luck on coons using marshmallows in either live traps or dog proofs. Ax handle takes care of coons nicely. Never caught a skunk in a dog proof trap or anything but coons using marshmallows. Cat food or tuna will draw in skunks at my place I've found. Trouble with using live traps is you have to empty them. Not supposed to just take them elsewhere. Conibear in bucket works best but not legal here.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We live in the country, have a small homestead type hobby farm. Raise lots of birds: quail, ducks, chickens, etc… poultry attracts the pests big time and they will damage your investment/efforts. I’ve trapped and killed countless raccoons and skunks.

That being said I’ve never found a “good” way to deal with a skunk. They always spray upon death and it’s terrible! If you live in town I wouldn’t recommend shooting it with a pellet gun. Your back porch will stink for 2 weeks

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had good luck on coons using marshmallows in either live traps or dog proofs. Ax handle takes care of coons nicely. Never caught a skunk in a dog proof trap or anything but coons using marshmallows. Cat food or tuna will draw in skunks at my place I've found. Trouble with using live traps is you have to empty them. Not supposed to just take them elsewhere. Conibear in bucket works best but not legal here.
I was taking the squirrels out to the river with lots of trees and plenty of water. A 20 mile round trip for each one. Apparently from what I read they can return within a 15 mile radius. I don't know it the same ones came back or not. But from then on, a .22 Pellet to the back of the head in the cage works well.
As far as the skunk went, animal control has picked up one recently and three in years past with no spraying when they haul them off. I know the last one was put to sleep at the control center. I think because a lot around this area has rabies.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was trapping skunks(never had a problem with them here for some reason) I would use a box trap that was totally closed with black plastic. Never had one spray caught in it. You could carry them out away from everything open it and shoot them as they came out. Most skunks I ever caught was in a foot hold set in front of a hole that was on bare ground with nothing around for a hundred yards. Didn't Even bait it just laid the trap out on top the ground. Most have caught ten skunks in a month. I would drive up upwind shoot them in head and wait a couple of days For stink to die down. Used to have spotted skunks out west. Those things would make a striped skunk smell like channel no5.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Raccoons are easy to get rid of. Dog proof traps and marshmallows for bait.
The skunks won’t spray if they can’t raise their tails so get one of the smaller wire live traps that is a 6”X6”. cover both sides and top with cardboard so it can’t see you when walking up to the trap, leaving the handle exposed. Bait with canned cat food.
Once trapped, drop the trap into a tub of water to drown it. No spray.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Raccoons are easy to get rid of. Dog proof traps and marshmallows for bait.
The skunks won’t spray if they can’t raise their tails so get one of the smaller wire live traps that is a 6”X6”. cover both sides and top with cardboard so it can’t see you when walking up to the trap, leaving the handle exposed. Bait with canned cat food.
Once trapped, drop the trap into a tub of water to drown it. No spray.
I'll up grade Dennis' suggestion. Instead of cardboard us an old tarp over the live catch trap, Fold the ends up so the animal can see through. When you make the catch approach from the side so animal can't see you, Flip tarp down to cover ends and then drop trap in tub of water

Last edited:

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not worthy. 5 nights with the trap and they walk around it. Bacon, tuna fish and tonight I will use marshmallows. As a backup I ordered a Gamo .22 pellet rifle. Oh, and the best news, I have two skunks now.

Attachments

• IMG_4754.PNG
    IMG_4754.PNG
    3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom