Getting used to carrying concealed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but just how many people have been hurt by falling on a firearm carried small of back??

I've heard this often repeated caution, but I'd like to see factual evidence of this happening. I'm guessing it has happened, but I'd also guess that the chances of it happening are extremely low, if not statistically insignificant.

I don't carry small of the back, but I don't believe it poses the grave danger many people claim.

djones69

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but just how many people have been hurt by falling on a firearm carried small of back??

I've heard this often repeated caution, but I'd like to see factual evidence of this happening. I'm guessing it has happened, but I'd also guess that the chances of it happening are extremely low, if not statistically insignificant.

I don't carry small of the back, but I don't believe it poses the grave danger many people claim.
me for one ,although i was thrown from a horse with a ruger blackhawk stuck in the back of my waist band without a holster. couldn't walk for 3 weeks fractured vertibre at L5 & s1, surgery and 30 years later i still have major low back issues

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will eventually get to be so comfortable in carrying that you will forget you have it on. I sometimes get so comfortable that I suddenly have to feel to make sure it is still in the holster. I once even took my vest off in a WalMart.. forgetting I was OWB my G23.

I have carried my Glock 21, 23, 19, LCP or a S&W .38 spl air weight in the 3-4 o'clock area ... both iwb & owb.. and find that the most comfortable position. I usually wear a long-tailed concealment vest or a long-tailed open light weight shirt. But several of my holsters are tuckable and easily concealed under a T-Shirt.

For anyone with a Ruger LCP w/ CT laser... Looper makes a little holster called "The Betty" it is a simple tuckable clamshell that works pretty well. $40 at H&H.

http://looperlawenforcement.com/betty-holster.html

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I need to be informed of something I may be missing here by the previous posts. I just got my CC and I intend to carry it concealed as per the Oklahoma laws as much as I possibility can. In many ways of carrying there may be a clip or bulge showing that may or may not be a cellphone, wallet, small knife, ipod, etc or a firearm.

As I see it, as long as I am carrying in such a way that does not depict what my clip or bulge is connected to, I think I should be legal. Is this true?

If a good guy or bad guy desires to use their imagination, or look close enough that I have a bulges in all four pockets, Wallet, cell phone, keys, another wallet, (or something) or a clip on my belt with a bulge underneath that is mysterious is there a reason why should I be concerned with this that I seem to not be aware of?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As long as the outline of the gun itself isn't printing, you're good. Let them wonder if they spot a bulge. If someone ask if you're carrying, tell them no.

To the OP, definitely carry on person if at all possible. You'd be amazed at how many people forget they're carrying in a bag or purse (especially into the airport!). The gun is more secure and more accessible on person.

If you have a strong side belt or IWB holster, definitely come out and shoot IDPA. You'll be surprised at how much you learn in a short time for not much money.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having fallen on a gun in duty gear... the bruised hip was pretty painful. Falling on a gun lined directly over the spine is going to be worse.

SOB carry... sounds like a good idea... till you set in a chair. It's not popular because of several problems.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you're in Tulsa (but even if you weren't), and it sounds like you're serious about self-defense, I highly recommend Brandon Bennett's women's self-defense class. Some very important realities about self-defense (armed or unarmed) will become apparent. Brandon is a Tulsa SWAT officer, a very nice guy, and easy to learn from. www.relentlessmartialarts.com

Brandon Bennett and Mike Brown also put on a class at USSA once or twice a year called Close Quarters Tactics, which is an awesome foundation of armed self-defense practice.

A little bit of combatives practice usually reveals that a pistol on your back is very hard to access during a fight compared to one in the appendix position.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats to the OP for joining the conceal carry club and exercising her 2A rights. Glad to hear, as a woman, you have decided to carry on your person as opposed to a purse or bag. The cons of off-person carry far outweigh any advantages.

Latest posts

Top Bottom