Gila National Forest, New Mexico: Wild cattle to be shot from helicopters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of course there could be a question of ownership involved here. 10 to 1 ranchers aren't real keen on claiming Ownership too much.or they likely would get fined. State might claim ownership since technically wildlife in that state belongs to them. Or maybe even feds could claim that since their on federal wilderness area they belong to the US. Of course technically they are a invasive species so wildlife folks have every right to destroy them like they do the snakes in Florida.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This won't be popular but we should do the same with wild horses. The tax money spent on that program is incredible and incredibly wasteful. Surely there's a program(s) for humans out there that could use that money?
Agree 100%. I'm near the Salt river in Arizona currently where the horses run wild. The state or feds have put in miles of fencing to keep the horses from crossing the highways, allowing them to cross where creeks/rivers cross the highway in overpasses.
The story of the wild horses moves into Oklahoma and other states where ranchers go into contract with the feds to shelter the wild horses where they receive millions of tax dollars in return.

MAXWELL, Neb. (CBS4) — In 2021, it cost $78 million in federal taxpayer money to care for nearly 60,000 wild horses and burros that were rounded up out of the wild and moved into holding facilities run by the Bureau of Land Management. Some horse advocates say that's a waste of taxpayer dollars, but the BLM says it's a necessary expense.

Because many off-range pastures are privately owned, it's unusual for the public to get a look inside, making some horse advocates skeptical of treatment.
But when CBS4 news cameras were given a rare tour of a facility in Maxwell, Neb., in late April, the more than 900 horses relocated there appeared healthy with plenty of room to roam.

Harry Haythorn runs the off-range pasture in Maxwell, located about a four-hour drive northeast of Denver, just across the border of the Mountain and Central time zones. He says he takes great pride and joy in caring for the horses at taxpayer expense.

Many landowners in Oklahoma are sheltering the horses. Tboon Pickens wife was a champion of promoting this in Ok.
The Drummond ranch in Osage county that encompasses over 400,000 acres makes millions of dollars sheltering these wild horses.

Ree Drummond, 48, and her husband Ladd own a whopping 433,000 acres of the Sooner State, making them the 23rd largest landowners in the country, according to the Land Report 100.

Their bovine enterprises keep money flowing in steadily, but they also have a giant tenant they rent to in the form of the U.S. government. Since 2006, the government has paid the Drummonds an average of $2 million a year to keep burros and wild horses on the estate, with the land going to "support animal protection," the Daily Mail reported.

https://www.ajc.com/entertainment/c...se-her-massive-estate/cgyw5WBjUJIHb6PizHqlLI/

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Big to do about nothing. Shoot them and be done with it. Same with the feral horses. They aren’t mustangs, they’re feral horses. No different than feral hogs, and I don’t want my tax dollars going to round them up.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s cuz those fellas make it look easy. Little different caliber of hands than the three fellas that came to handle the situation you couldn’t and then y’all killed the cow. It’s gonna be ok. As long as there’s folks raising cattle for many years and not knowing how to handle the ones that won’t lick their hand then there’s money to be made. I’ve heard all need to about your experience to make me aware that I’m sure you’re a nice guy and a good cattle feeder/raiser but you ain’t a Cowcatcher.
I could have used your help a couple years back. A buddy of mine that lived in the DFW area had dropped off a zonkey in my pasture. The plan was for me to load it up a few days later and meet him in Clinton, AR for the chuckwagon races. I’ve been riding and driving horses/mules since I was around 5 years old, but I DON’T consider myself to be a true cowboy. With that being said, I had no idea what I was in for when I agreed to haul that little zonkey. Another buddy and myself tried to wrangle that little b@$tard for about two hours before admitting defeat. We then got in touch with a couple of real cowboys and had them come help. It was still a rodeo, but we finally got him loaded by following the directions of the real cowboys. That zonkey kicked, snorted, and farted all the way from Comanche county to Clinton, AR. I was very happy when I handed him back over to his owner. My point of the story is that there is a big difference between real cowboys and folks that raise cattle or know how to ride a horse. My hat is off to the real cowboys out there. Also, the guys that race chuckwagons are a couple levels of crazy above me.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m arguing in favor of something that won’t happen because those in charge have no knowledge of what is possible and probably didn’t seek advice from anyone with knowledge.
Tell me this is a government operation without telling me it’s a government operation…

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
trouble with rounding up cattle is you've got to have ones that are afraid of dogs and horses. a wild bull that size will climb right on top of and stomp a horse, kills dogs and coyotes for exercise. if you've not seen a bull that will charge a person or horse anytime anywhere for no reason then you're fooling yourselves. they are totally different animal than one that will drive till he gets mad or tired. this kind stays mad and won't stop stomping you until you stop breathing. think of them as a cape buffalo on drugs that ignorant people think of as pets. you could dart them maybe and drag them in a trailer if you're a good enough hunter to track one and get close enough. but what would you do with it? tame it? horse hockey.. there are not one out of a hundred pens would hold one. take it to a packing plant? ha ha ha , it'll tear the walls out before you get it killed. you could make dog food, if you could get it out of the brush after you shoot it. used to be REAL cowboys would shoot these without even trying to catch them because they kill range bulls for sport. truly wild cattle are like wild dogs, they have no fear of man at all. used to have hunts on the big ranches to kill these, ranch hands were and are killed every year by them while out working fence and stuff.
I saw a video of wild bull catchers in the out back of Australia. These guys used trucks with huge pipe bumpers on the front, that stuck out 5/6 feet. They would knock these bulls down, with the truck, drive this bumper up over them, so they couldn't get up, and then tie their feet, and go to the next one! Then bring a cattle truck with a top, and a ramp, and winch these things into the truck! Then they would send the NEW GUY, in to untie them! I raised cattle my whole life and never seen anything as bad as this guy was describing! I have had a few that would charge a horse I was on, but a good horse can usually get out of the way. My dad had three cow dogs that could handle just about anything. Two Airedales, and a cross Pit Bull! They worked well together, the Airedales would get the heals, and the Pit Bull the nose! I never saw anything get lose from them!

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read that article on the internet and was surprised that they are killing the cattle. I had no idea we had "wild cows" at all. But to arbitrarily shoot them and let the meat rot is foolish when people are goign hungry in some areas of this country.
I immediately thought of the government wanting us to stop eating beef and methane released from cows both of which is normal. It is the government that is abnormal lead by liberal zealots who want change for change sake, nothing else in some cases. They have to come up with something and don't want to be left out of any meeting without an "idea." So today's big push or idea is eat less beef and methane gas is bad for the environment. Tomorrow it may be something else altogether.
Cows may produce some methane from there manure, but COWS CAN'T FART!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is physically impossible for cows, or any other ruminate, deer, buffilo, etc, to get rid of gas! That is why they will BLOAT TO THE POINT THEY CAN NO LONGER BREATH, AND DIE, BEFORE THEY CAN GET RID OF GAS BUILDUP, FROM ETHER END! THIS GAS MUST BE PHYOVIALLY RELIEVED BY VENTING IT WITH A BIG NETTLE, OR KNIFE, THEN IF THE MICOBES IN THGE RUMAN HAVE BEEN KILLED BY TOO HIGH, OR LOW, PH, THEY WILL JUST BLOAT AGAIN, BECAUSE THEY CAN NOT DIGEST THE FOOD!! I FIND THIS ABSOLUTLY AMAZING THAT SO MANY PEOPLE ARE SO IGNORATE ABOUT THIS SUBJECT! AND PIPELINES ARE MORE DANGERUS THAN RAIL CARS, AND TRANDSPORT TANKER TRUCKS, RIGHT? amazing what propaganda can do!

hbokc

Marksman
Reaction score
Well I never claimed to be a real Cowboy but I have rode with some… And we gathered and roped several Mavericks they were always cut and loaded or cut and released to be gathered the next season… It was just part of the job…

Latest posts

Top Bottom