Glock Guide Rod & Spring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just for Glock or do you hold the same for all your guns?

I’d say for any semi-auto. The operation works with the law of physics.

“For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction”.

There is a balance with the slide, springs and ammo that have to be maintained for it to do its job. Competition shooters spend hundreds of dollars experimenting with spring weights, making slides lighter or heavier and handloading ammo for the best accuracy and function.

I see some of these shooters in the safety area during matches tearing their pistols apart between stages at every match. I have a friend who paid about $2500.00 for a match pistol and he is constantly working on it. I asked him one day. “Why did you spend so much money on a gun that doesn’t work and you have to keep working on it?”

If I had paid that much for a gun, it better work or it’s going back.

His answer...”Because it’s a good gun and I like it”.

Meanwhile my totally stock Springfield Armory XDM 9 and Glock 21SF with some external modifications to the grip and frame just keep on running.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This threads about glocks, based on many high volume training classes it's always the "customized" guns that fail. Change sights, add stippling but as a general rule leave internals alone

Probably some truth to this but like most mechanical things, if you "upgrade" the part or "customize" the pistol with the appropriate parts you really shouldn't have any problem. If you start monkeying around with different spring weights doing "home-brew" trigger jobs or other non or less proven parts swaps then you will have reliability issues.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glock has a design that has worked for years and then somebody else is going to come along and "build a better mousetrap". I don't know.. When it comes to a Glock, I'll leave it to them to make a change.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably some truth to this but like most mechanical things, if you "upgrade" the part or "customize" the pistol with the appropriate parts you really shouldn't have any problem. If you start monkeying around with different spring weights doing "home-brew" trigger jobs or other non or less proven parts swaps then you will have reliability issues.
Last class i took was 800 rnds. Only gun that didnt make it was a $2000+ zev built g19.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've still got the original parts and it's not my carry gun. If it doesn't work, I'll just change it back -- no harm, no foul. It only takes about 15 seconds to swap. Just looking to make it a little more enjoyable at the range.

Didn't mean to start a firestorm. Feels kinda like a "What oil and ratio should I use in my 2 stroke?" on my motorized bike forum......

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've still got the original parts and it's not my carry gun. If it doesn't work, I'll just change it back -- no harm, no foul. It only takes about 15 seconds to swap. Just looking to make it a little more enjoyable at the range.

Didn't mean to start a firestorm. Feels kinda like a "What oil and ratio should I use in my 2 stroke?" on my motorized bike forum......

Well, look at the the last sentence in your first post: “Any thoughts on the subject?”

That opened the gate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I took it to the range this afternoon. The recoil was a bit more controlled with the new setup. Put about 100 rounds through it, zero issues. I think the new setup is a 'keeper'. With that being said, I'll still keep the old guide and spring in my range bag.....at least for a little while.

Latest posts

Top Bottom