God

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can play semantic word games, but in the end the atheist have faith that the universe either arose from nothing or has existed for all time, where as the religious person has faith that there exists a god who either arose from nothing or has existed for all time, and created the universe. Either way there is clearly something that is beyond our understanding. I do not pretend to have the answers, though I have pondered these questions for many decades. My philosophy is to allow each individual to make his own way in this world.

IndVet, perhaps I took your post out of context, but if I did, I do not think I was alone.

Do you believe in Odin? If not, you're an Atheist too. (to paraphrase Richard Dawkins).

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why do people believe in God....any God? I don't understand why some believe in a Muslim God, others believe in a Catholic God...etc. What have you seen that gives you any basis for believing in a GOD? Religion to me sounds like something most people have been brainwashed to believe as little children. Could there be something other than God? Most of us live in a fact based society, but when it comes to religion we throw facts out the window. We even make excuses why we can't use facts in religion. I'm not trying to be rude, I just want to know why I should believe in God? Are we scared not to believe? I don't believe in any God, but that doesn't mean we can't evolve beyond this life. If we do, I don't believe being good boys and girls or God has anything to do with it.

Last edited:

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is believing in religion a weakness? Is it mans way to feel like they have control? Is it the .gov's way of controlling the masses? Is God really a loving God? If he is, why is there so much suffering on earth? Could you watch your children suffer and do nothing? Doesn't make any logical sense at all.

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've even seen a religion invented in (some of) our lifetime, Scientology. L. Ron Hubbard first published his belief system in 1950.

All it takes is a story, a need for belief, and people to believe it.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It seems to me like anyone that asks these kinds of questions is almost perceived as the devil or the antichrist. Is it possible to have these discussions without people getting their feelings hurt or being all defensive?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is believing in religion a weakness? Is it mans way to feel like they have control? Is it the .gov's way of controlling the masses? Is God really a loving God? If he is, why is there so much suffering on earth? Could you watch your children suffer and do nothing? Doesn't make any logical sense at all.

You mean when you give them the tools to do better, teach them better and then give them the freedom to be their own person and they go out and live a bad lifestyle that causes them pain and problems?

Yes... yes, we can. And we do. All the time.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It seems to me like anyone that asks these kinds of questions is almost perceived as the devil or the antichrist. Is it possible to have these discussions without people getting their feelings hurt or being all defensive?

No, it's not possible. You asked the question simply so you could attack and ridicule people who expressed a belief in God.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, it's not possible. You asked the question simply so you could attack and ridicule people who expressed a belief in God.

It's a common theme. It's the Jesse Ventura philosophy. There're a number of guys here who are like that... anyone who believes in a higher power is a moron, clinging to archaic mysticism, etc. Truly modern, enlightened and intelligent people who believe in science would never believe in a higher power....

Although they are often ok with believing a mass of matter exploded and brought everything into existence. and a bunch of primordial ooze became sentient, intelligent life.

It's all good... we're free to believe what we want, or purport that we believe nothing. But whatever man... the thinly-veiled sarcasm and needling (not in a humorous way, as some would have you believe, it's more in a condescending way) get old, but hey.... no one promised an easy road - only a destination, right?

Latest posts

Top Bottom