Good Trail Camera out there to buy? or help with mine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok guys I have never set up trail cameras or anything but I am going to this year. We bought some land down in Peggs that is loaded with deer. I am attempting to plant my first food plot and anyways I bought a pair of trail cameras at Atwoods thinking a camera is a camera right? well wrong lol. I went cheap and got 2 moultrie plot stalker cameras. I believe I wasted my money on these for the purpose I want to use them for.

Last week 3/20 went down there picked out the spot to put the plot at. Tilled out the area to plant. set my trail camera up on a tree overlooking some of the area that was tilled. set the camera on 10sec. intervals thinking that was the reset time between pics taken when the sensor picks movement up. Incorrect. Once the sensor is broken it continues to take photos every 10secs until memory card and/or batteries die. So I set the camera up at 2:20ish that day and it filled the memory at around 1 in the morning.

Now which brings up my next problem with the camera. It showed on packaging that it will take black and white photos at night. my camera did not. It gave me pitch black photos from about 8pm to 1am that night. it filled the memory around then or decided to shut off and quit taking photos. I would like to see what visits the area at night also.

So today I went down there to spread fertilizer and spray some killz-all around the border of plot to kill grass back from the tilled area. that is when I changed the trail cameras out. then when I got home hooked up the usb is when I realized above issues.

My problem is I don't have the time to go down there everyday to change cameras or memory card. its about 30miles from where I live and diesel is to high to do that through the summer especially if it will not last more than a day. the last don't mind so much once a week but would prefer only having to go down there to checkTrail Camerasevery 2 weeks and check on plot making sure its growing and all.

so if you know of a good camera what i am looking for is a camera that will take a photo. Go through the set interval of time and then wait til something breaks the sensor to take another photo. and be able to take a photo at night and depending on cost one without the flash. but to save some money I will live with camera flash at night.
this camera can be one from a few years back too. I don't mind buying a used one Ebay is likely the first place I will go to buy another now. Get a better price and try it out and sometimes can find new un-opened from 2-3 years ago for half of the same camera being sold at bass pro.

and any advice on food plots and camera placement would be nice too. thanks nathan

here are a few pics the camera did pick up. Not bad pic quality in my mind for a $30 trial camera?
b.jpgc.jpgd.jpga.jpg

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got one of those, its a decent camera if you use it correctly. I usually set mine for 1 minute intervals, and use a big SD card. I think it only takes pics at night if you get a light to go with it. My only complaint about it is that it devours batteries.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah I put in a 4gb card figuring no way it can use that many pics cause I thought it would only take pics when sensor picks up movement. Now that I am wrong on that I am going to set the programming up different. For sure setting it to shut off at around 8 or so and not start til 7am so it won't wasted time taking photos at night. and yes batteries Put new ones in it and it now says est. life left is 15-20%. again that ain't gonna work out for me too well. Gonna invest in some rechargeable batteries.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need an actual trail camera, I think there were some Moultrie cams and a Bushnell in the classifieds. The plot stalker is designed to take pics on a schedule whether anything is in front of it or not.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah saw them just a bit too late. done sold them.

but if anyone has a camera they just love let me have some free reviews on it from actual usage and such.
I am gonna be purchasing me a couple more to go along with these.

and use these moultrie plot stalkers on some paths here and there that I may think have good travel patterns on and let the cameras run through the day to find out for me.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to Nachesz and get some of the refurbished Primos Truth Cam 35
I bought two last year just to test out. Heck for $100 for two IR cams I figured why not
Well both worked great and battery life was a actually pretty good
I had to set my sensitivity on low, or it would take picks every time the wind blew or a shadow moved. After I figured that out they work great for $45 a piece.
Now that I think about it.... I'm gonna go order two more right now lol

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hey yeah that looks like a decent deal. did you see they also have the truth cam 46. has more leds higher mega pixel capability and longer night range. only $10 more. gonna have to decide if thats what I want to use. Thinking they look like good cameras and decent priced. not like I need detailed photo's of the deer just kinda wanna see them grow through the summer and see if they come everyday and get somewhat of a route down on some deer. thanks nathan

Latest posts

Top Bottom