Got a problem with my 642

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I really like my 642, cleaned it and doing some dry fire to smooth out the trigger tonight, and now the cylinder release will not let the cylinder open. It does have the lock, could that be what is holding the cylinder locked in the frame. Any ideas on what to do to fix it? Anyone know if Mike at OPS works on revolvers?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has the ejector rod unscrewed some? Or will the latch not extend to release it?
It's been awhile but I can't recall the lock being able to prevent that. Don't hold me to this because 1) I never used the damn thing, and 2) It's been awhile since I disabled the one in my 442.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
did you have the sideplate off when you cleaned it?

No, but I removed it when it would not open the cylinder, everything looks to function properly, but I do not know enough about revolvers to be sure.

Has the ejector rod unscrewed some? Or will the latch not extend to release it?
It's been awhile but I can't recall the lock being able to prevent that. Don't hold me to this because 1) I never used the damn thing, and 2) It's been awhile since I disabled the one in my 442.

Not that I can tell. However, now the end of the ejector rod that extends when it releases the cylinder sticks out even after the latch is not depressed. I looked inside, and can not tell if it is extending far enough or not. It was a little hard before, so I am thinking that is the problem, just don't know how to fix it.

It still functions fine, timing seems fine, just won't open the cylinder. It feels like it is not fully engaging the release?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, but I removed it when it would not open the cylinder, everything looks to function properly, but I do not know enough about revolvers to be sure.

Not that I can tell. However, now the end of the ejector rod that extends when it releases the cylinder sticks out even after the latch is not depressed. I looked inside, and can not tell if it is extending far enough or not. It was a little hard before, so I am thinking that is the problem, just don't know how to fix it.

It still functions fine, timing seems fine, just won't open the cylinder. It feels like it is not fully engaging the release?

If you can get the cylinder swung out, I'd bet the ejector rod is loose and has screwed out some jamming up in the latch out towards the end of the barrel. It just screws in and should be tight. I think they are left hand thread IIRC. My 686 does this often with hot loads.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can get the cylinder swung out, I'd bet the ejector rod is loose and has screwed out some jamming up in the latch out towards the end of the barrel. It just screws in and should be tight. I think they are left hand thread IIRC. My 686 does this often with hot loads.

Thanks Shadowrider, that was it. It was loose, but I was turning it the wrong way. :hithead:

You are the man. I was sure it had to be something simple. I do not have very many revolvers, just this one and a couple of GP100s, so not real savvy on them. :bowdown:

Guess that is a reason for me to pick up a few more, to practice with!! :thumb:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad I could help. Put a drop of remoil or CLP in that little spring loaded plunger the locks the ejector rod occasionally. It's easy to neglect that little guy. If it keeps loosening, use some BLUE locktite on the ejector rod threads. Only the BLUE!

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad I could help. Put a drop of remoil or CLP in that little spring loaded plunger the locks the ejector rod occasionally. It's easy to neglect that little guy. If it keeps loosening, use some BLUE locktite on the ejector rod threads. Only the BLUE!

Gotcha!, thanks for the tips. We need to plan on doing some shooting at the next OSA meeting, even if it is only shooting the bull... :D

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gotcha!, thanks for the tips. We need to plan on doing some shooting at the next OSA meeting, even if it is only shooting the bull... :D

You're right we should. I'm up there regularly at Oil Capital or USSA shooting some sort of match. We ought to do one after a match one of these days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom