Got Screwed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I just got a very irritating call this morning.... my buddies dad told me about a piece of property one of his friends had for lease and said I could have it if I wanted it. So I give up my old lease and tol him to let his freind know we want it. I get the guys number and call him (all this was 2 months ago), the guy seems real cool and tells me the land is ours if we want it and that we dont need to pay him til September. Well I tell him yes we want it and that we would like to get it paid for ASAP to MAKE SURE we got it. Over the past 2 months we have been scouting, putting up feeders and cams, put a lot of work into cleaning out a road and I spent a bit of money on building a large inclosed tower stand to put out there. We put off paying for a little cause there are 3 other guys with me and we wanted to get everyone together to meet the guy and pay him and our scheduals never worked out. Well I finally said lets just pay and who cares how, so I called him monday to tell him we wanted to meet him out there Sunday morning which would still be a few weeks earlier than he sad we had, and get this thing paid for and mentioned to him someone had messed with one of the gates. Well he said he would meet us there and that he would call his son and see if he had messed with the gate. Well my call this morning was my buddies dad calling me to let me know the land owners son had leased it to someone else and they paid for it 2 weeks ago! So I called the guy and yup we dont get it cause it was his boys friend he leased it to and they had already paid for it. Now I have a month before season and nowhere to hunt and very little time to find another lease.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry you lost out but, its a lesson learned. The day they say yes, put money into their hands, no matter if you have to borrow it and get your "buddies" to pay you back.

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn man, that is a bad deal. All this land leasing is getting to be a cut throat business.

Dennis could not be more right. Oil business will teach you that once you get someone to say yes to a lease, you better have money and papers ready to go. Any hesitation will just be an opening for someone else to jump in.

Anyone remember when we just hunted and hung out, didn't worry about high dollar lease, feeders, food plots?

This months Outdoor Life has some good articles about this sort of thing.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate dealing with strangers that will not keep their word. I usually deal with farmers that I have known for years. Most of them have asked me to lease their land. Sorry dude, it just sucks when that happens.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What burns my butt, is a guy comes here to vent and the only input some knothead has is making a stupid comment on his grammer . If you don't have any input about the topic that is helpful. Go somewhere else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom