GREAT Customer Service Experience Relating to Microtech Knife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petersonb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On January 30th, I purchased a Microtech Ultratech from Hollow Grind, LLC in Florida. I just picked a random dealer from Microtech's website. Unfortunately, in April, it broke. The slider came detached from the internal mechanism somehow. Of course, I didn't open it to find out, as that would void the warranty. Instead, I sent it to Microtech to get repaired.

10 WEEKS LATER (Grrr) it was finally shipped back to my apartment. I'm currently in Mississippi on mil orders for 2.5 months, so had to get someone to ship it to me. All in all, a HUGE PITA dealing with Microtech. Not such a good experience with them.

The knife broke AGAIN today (I received it 2 days ago, on Friday). Same exact issue. Instead of contacting Microtech, I contacted Hollow Grind. Within an hour, I received a phone call in reply to my email. A phone call on Sunday!! This was already going pretty well. The guy's name was Dave, and he said, "You shouldn't have even had to contact Microtech; we stand behind our knives, no matter how long ago you purchased it. You shouldn't be stuck with a defective knife!" (It's worth noting that I purchased this 174 days ago). I'm sending them the knife tomorrow and he is sending me a brand new July 2012 version, with a choice of any style/color I want of the Ultratech (not limiting me to an exact replacement...A definite plus, since I wanted the black originally but they were out of stock at the time of original purchase).

LONG STORY SHORT: If you want a high dollar knife, and can get it from The Hollow Grind, I HIGHLY recommend doing so!!

-------
Here's the scoop on the Ultratech's issue, for those who are considering purchasing one:

Apparently the knives are made to the 1000th of an inch tolerance and one of the pieces was becoming out of tolerance during the anodizing process and the blade would hit something during retraction, and it would shear a piece. My first knife was a January 2012 model. I was told they fixed the issue in March 2012 and have had zero issues so far, as opposed to the "MANY" issues with December '11/January '12 models. Dave is going to send me a July 2012 model in black instead of the grey/stainless version I have now.

Overally VERY impressed with Hollow Grind; not so much impressed with Microtech's customer service.

Latest posts

Top Bottom