Great love for 1960 era muscle cars engines.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the '70s, I bought a '66 Mustang (289, auto trans) for $75, because the oil light stayed on (fortunately the owner was afraid to drive it, or even run it more than a few seconds).

Dropped the pan, cleaned the broken (nylon IIRC?) valve seal pieces out of the oil pump (which had locked up and caused the drive rod from the distributor to twist until it was too short to reach the pump) and replaced the drive rod. Total repair cost (pan gasket & drive rod) was less than $5.

Traded it for an old Triumph 650 that had been chopped and needed paint and some other stuff. It sat in the garage until a neighbor bought it for $225. Thought I made a killer deal.

Lol, I shoulda kept the Mustang...
:drunk2:

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is my favorite 60s car ever. My 1968 Mustang with a simple 302 and c4 transmission. It's not the best example of a Mustang, but it was my 10th wedding anniversary present from my wife. So, yeah, it's the best one out there. (unless someone wants to trade straight across with me for a similar condition 68 Mustang fastback. Love is one thing, but come on, it's a fastback. [emoji38])
IMG_20201114_100944_436.jpg

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking of Ford FE motors, I’ve got a 390 that’s been mildly worked over with 9.25:1 compression, flat top pistons, milled and ported heads, and a Lunati Voodoo cam all being feed by a Holley Sniper EFI system. Runs like a top. Only problem is it’s in a 1972 Ford F-250. Not much of a muscle car but it’ll rip a tongue off a trailer. Does that count?
My Dad bought a new '73 F-350 cab & chassis with a 390 2bbl. He put a 14ft flatbed on it, and constantly complained that it didn't pull like it should (he pulled a 26ft gooseneck stock trailer with it). In all fairness, it had a fairly high geared rear-end and was kinda doggy the way he liked to lug it around.

I built a shop in '82. He still had the truck, and wanted me to fix the power problem.

There's a lot of meat on those old big blocks, so I had the heads milled .060, found a 4bbl manifold, and bought a brand new Carter 650 AFB (lol, with a manual choke - that was another pet peeve of his). Also replaced the rings & bearings.

Had to drill the bolt holes out in the manifold because the heads sat so much lower, and put washers under the rocker arm racks to keep the geometry right on the valve train.

But man oh man, that thing would pull a load. He passed in '99 and never sold it.
:drunk2:

JT708

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To you mopar fans. I had a64 plymouth fury with a 413,3 speed push button torque flight,a 65, chrysler 300 that just
crazy fast for a lead sled. But the plymouth was my favorite wish I still had both.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If any of yous Ford guys have a cheap toploader, I might be interested.....LOL.

As for FEs, the ultimate is the 427SOHC. Too bad Ford never put that monster on the street in a production car, but I imagine the 2 mile long timing chain would probably be a warranty nightmare over time.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To you mopar fans. I had a64 plymouth fury with a 413,3 speed push button torque flight,a 65, chrysler 300 that just
crazy fast for a lead sled. But the plymouth was my favorite wish I still had both.
I've always like the late 60s GTX. Man what a cool car.
Worked at a NAPA store out of high school in Kansas, and had a cool guy that would come in, big time Mopar man. He had a hemi Cuda and a ton of other desirable Mopar iron. We used to joke with each other because I told him I wanted a 427SOHC, and he used to tell me he could find me one of those, and swap me, if I could come up with a 426 Max Wedge. I miss the 80s.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If any of yous Ford guys have a cheap toploader, I might be interested.....LOL.

As for FEs, the ultimate is the 427SOHC. Too bad Ford never put that monster on the street in a production car, but I imagine the 2 mile long timing chain would probably be a warranty nightmare over time.
I love to listen to them run!

Latest posts

Top Bottom