Gun and Ammo magazine supports gun control???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quote:
"echnical Editor Dick Metcalf penned the editorial for the December issue. Metcalf, a writer whose technical knowledge (or lack thereof) has earned him brickbats before, bases his editorial on a distinction between “infringement” and “regulation.” “I bring this up,” Metcalf writes, “because way too many gun owners still believe that any regulation of the right to keep and bear arms is an infringement. The fact is that all Constitutional rights are regulated, always have been, and need to be.” That, dear reader, is a major WTF moment. One of many . . .

Metcalf’s dietribe [sic] turns to the antis’ favorite justification for infringing on our natural, civil and Constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms: you “Can’t yell ‘FIRE!’ in a crowded theater.” Yes. Yes you can. It’s just that you’re legally responsible for what happens next. And what happens next in Metcalf’s editorial is bizarre—especially for an article that appears in a gun magazine:

Many argue that any regulation at all is, by definition, an infringement. If that were true, then the authors of the Second Amendment themselves, should not have specified “well-regulated.”

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp...y-Dick-Metcalf-of-Guns-Ammo-December-2013.pdf

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many argue that any regulation at all is, by definition, an infringement. If that were true, then the authors of the Second Amendment themselves, should not have specified "well-regulated".

"Regulation" as it appears in the 2a has the same meaning as a regulated as it pertains to clocks - one that is in proper and functional order, and working as expected. It has never had anything to do with a more current definition of the word, referencing something that is being legally controlled and/or restricted.

People today fail at basic vocabulary.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Regulation" as it appears in the 2a has the same meaning as a regulated as it pertains to clocks - one that is in proper and functional order, and working as expected. It has never had anything to do with a more current definition of the word, referencing something that is being legally controlled and/or restricted.

People today fail at basic vocabulary.

True enough, but IMHO arguing about the meaning of "regulated" in a non-operative portion of the amendment is going down a rabbit hole anyway so why bother. Dick was an idiot for going there so I won't stoop to his level.

cichlid-dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow a true loss for the gun community from what was a finely respected man. After reading his article and I suggest you do you will see that this man has truly fallen. If he is not removed from his position it should be time to vote with your dollars and not support this magazine or it's parent company anymore.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I haven't read G&A since Jeff Cooper's stuff quit gracing their pages. But at least they did make an attempt to rectify the situation. Maybe we hold off with the pitchforks for a bit? This seems a bit more legitimate than that asshat at Recoil Magazine.

From Jim Bequette, Editor Guns & Ammo Magazine:

As editor of Guns & Ammo, I owe each and every reader a personal apology.

No excuses, no backtracking.

Dick Metcalf’s Backstop column in the December issue has aroused unprecedented controversy. Readers are hopping mad about it, and some are questioning Guns & Ammo‘s commitment to the Second Amendment, and I understand why.

Let me be clear: our commitment to the Second Amendment is unwavering. It has been so since the beginning. Historically, our tradition in supporting the Second Amendment is unflinching. No strings attached. It is no accident that when others in the gun culture counseled compromise in the past, hard-core thinkers like Harlon Carter, Don Kates and Neal Knox found a place and voice in these pages. When large firearms advocacy groups were going soft in the 1970s, they were prodded in the right direction from the pages of Guns & Ammo.

In publishing Metcalf’s column, I was untrue to that tradition, and for that I apologize. His views do not represent mine - and, most importantly, Guns & Ammo’s. It is very clear to me that they didn’t reflect the views of our readership, either.

Dick Metcalf has had a long and distinguished career as a gunwriter, but his association with Guns & Ammo has officially ended.

I once again offer my personal apology. I understand what our valued readers want. I understand what you believe in when it comes to gun rights, and I believe the same thing.

I made a mistake by publishing the column. I thought it would generate a healthy exchange of ideas on gun rights. I miscalculated, pure and simple. I was wrong, and ask your forgiveness.

Plans were already in place for a new editor to take the reins of Guns & Ammo Jan 1. These recent events have convinced me I should advance that schedule immediately.

Your new Guns & Ammo editor will be Eric Poole, who has so effectively been running our special interest publications like Book of the AR-15 and Trigger. You will be hearing much more about this talented editor soon.

Guns & Ammo will never fail to vigorously lead in the struggle for our Second Amendment rights and with vigorous young editorial leadership, will do it even better in the future.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I haven't read G&A since Jeff Cooper's stuff quit gracing their pages. But at least they did make an attempt to rectify the situation. Maybe we hold off with the pitchforks for a bit? This seems a bit more legitimate than that asshat at Recoil Magazine.

Not good enough. If Jim Bequette (whoever that is) is the one that made the decision to publish Metcalf's garbage, then he should be resigning effective immediately. If not, then there's still a fool at the helm at G&A. They have done damage to our cause. Obama style apologies "accepting full responsibility" ain't gonna cut it. Nope! :nono1:

From the Dick thread:

FROM ANOTHER FORUM:

"The editor, Jim Bequette, has resigned."..."The February issue will mark the introduction of Eric R. Poole as the new editor of “Guns & Ammo” magazine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom