Gun Safe Moving Tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know if you buy it from H&H they'll deliver it and put it where you want don't you? :rotflmao:

Right, like I'd buy anything from H&H. :D

Agree with the carpet statement. Also, you have a rough idea of how close I am to you so let me know if you need a hand.

I'll enlist your help when the time comes. ;)

But then again, the hallway I had to move it down was tile.... I have a fairly heavy duty dolly..

Once we get it in the front door it'll be about 20' from its spot 1/2 tile and 1/2 carpet. Only go through one interior door. I think a heavy duty dolly and 4 guys would make the task safe and easy.

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right, like I'd buy anything from H&H. :D

I'll enlist your help when the time comes. ;)

Once we get it in the front door it'll be about 20' from its spot 1/2 tile and 1/2 carpet. Only go through one interior door. I think a heavy duty dolly and 4 guys would make the task safe and easy.

Straight shot, or is there a sharp turn or two your not mentioning?

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had to move the one at my dad's house from the back bedroom to the dining room on the other side of the house. They were doing foundation work with around 18 internal piers so we moved the safe to they could put new carpet on that side of the house. We used 2x4s. Just tilted the safe enough to get them underneath. We sat on the ground and pushed the 2x4s with our feet. The tricky part was anchoring ourselves against various walls or grabbing doorways so we wouldn't just slide backward. It spread the weight out like 2 8' skis and the safe surprisingly slid fairly easy. I don't think either of us could leg press that amount of weight, but the wood on carpet make it easy.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine are loaned out right now (imagine that!), but similar to this ...

http://www.amazon.com/Moving-1545-1...1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1298253249&sr=1-1

Not the same brand, but they look very similar. IIRC, my large ones are rated for 3K or 3200 pounds. We had three right turns, one on ceramic tile, one leaving tile and going onto carpet, and one on carpet. We had my old broken-down self and two (for part of it, three) thirty-somethings. Worked LIKE A CHARM! Had the safe set up in no time! Wally World did have some the same brand as mine, though not the exact same set. Mine has four large and four small. Could not believe how well they worked! No wonder they are never at home!

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thinking about a bigger safe and would like to know how the heck you guys get them in the house and where you want it to go. Safe in question weighs 1650#.

Wouldn't mind a helping hand from a couple of you local dudes too when the time comes. Might be able to arrange some grub or some brewskies for willing participants.

I may be able to help a little if I am not working. Of course I am an old and out of shape, so I don't know how much I would help.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about a bigger safe and would like to know how the heck you guys get them in the house and where you want it to go. Safe in question weighs 1650#.

Wouldn't mind a helping hand from a couple of you local dudes too when the time comes. Might be able to arrange some grub or some brewskies for willing participants.

Back in the day I worked for Bekins Van lines.
It took two us us to move a 9' concert Grand Piano from a stage to the floor, to a truck, and to another stage, that was the standard 4' from the floor.
Its no different for a gun safe.
You have to have a piano/gun safe board covered in carpet to prevent scratches. It will be a 2X12, 3 feet longer than the safe.
Strap the board to the safe, and tip it over onto a 4 wheel dolly, and it will roll anywhere.
If you don't have this, and it would not be cheap to make up the equipment, you could hire me to do this for some brewski's.

That being said, you could hire a moving company do do this for you a whole lot cheaper and it would be to pay for my brewski's:D

Seriously, you might be able to rent the equipment from the moving companies, or check into having them do it for you.
What I posted above is what they will do. If closer, it would happen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom