Gun Wear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie005

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a M&P40 that I have had almost 2 years. I have put about 1700 rounds through it. It still shoots great and I do keep it cleaned and oiled properly. Is there anything I need to start worrying about with this number of rounds. I have never had a semi auto pistol before and dont know if I need to worry about something on it about to wear out.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it for quite a while. When accuracy starts to go, replace the barrel. Most other parts will break before you get any indication there is something wrong. Just replace them as needed. Either way, you shouldn't have anything to worry about for many thousands of rounds.

The only thing I'd watch for, is the stress points on the frame. Areas where the slide slams back during firing, etc. Still, unless there is a problem originating from the factory, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Shoot it and enjoy.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup, the M&P will go thousands of rounds without any problems under normal wear. Just look everything over when you strip it down to clean it. Make sure you keep it clean and take care of it. If you do that, you'll have it for a very long time. Don't worry about shooting the barrel out of it. That would take thousands and thousands of rounds, and most shooters never get anywhere near that. The biggest thing is springs needing replaced, either the mags or in the gun itself. Maybe olyeller will come buy and tell you what he's seen on the M&Ps he works on.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
other than a spring kit now and then... a modern (and some not so modern) handguns should run well over 30 K rounds.

Unless your a comp shooter the average Joe won't run that kind of count in a lifetime.

Latest posts

Top Bottom