Had a terrible steak dining out tonight...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to the theater with the family for Beauty & the Beast. Friends we were with chose The Daily Grill to meet up for dinner. I'd never been there, but I expected being downtown, it would be expensive, but at least ok...

Had the New England clam chowder (white, not the red Manhattan) and it was really good. Like the grown-up mac'n'cheese, too, with bacon and mushrooms.

However... my "16-ounce" ribeye cooked medium was anything but...

I flipped steaks and cut meat at steakhouses for a couple of years, so I'm pretty familiar with ribeyes, and how to "eyeball" a steak for size. Ribeyes don't really shrink much, especially cooking them on the pink side - I usually order medium when dining out for ribeyes, as I don't like really REALLY rare and can handle a little more on the medium side more than the rare side with ribeyes, since they're so soft and marbled already. Pretty much any other steak I get medium-rare.

This steak... not even CLOSE to 16 ounces. I mean, not cooked weight, cooked it was less than half that. I would guess prior to cooking, it was a 9- or 10-ounce ribeye at most, then overcook it and oversear the outside - some of it was charred badly on the bottom, half the steak was medium-well to well-done, half was about medium, I guess. Overall, for $34.99, I will pass on ever going back. Even worse than the time that place in Utica Sq sent me a strip instead of the ribeye I ordered. No thanks. This one was really disappointing, though.

*BTW, for those who say I should have sent it back, I don't send food back. Just don't trust it. If it's inedible, I don't eat it, if it's edible, I choke it down, which is what I did tonight. No way I'm sending something back for a total recook and expecting to get something back that wasn't tampered with... I've just seen it too much from working in the restaurant world. Seen too many cooks get pissy if you send food back, even when it is obviously not cooked properly the first time. I just prefer to spread the word and speak with my wallet. I won't go back.

So, now I'm looking DOUBLY forward to my pastrami I am smoking tomorrow. I need something to wash the taste of that steak out of my mouth. Ugh.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just took the brisket out of the brine, been curing 5 days. Soaking in water overnight to remove some of the saltiness and then will roll it in pepper/coriander rub and throw it on the smoker, along with a bone-in ham.

I've got some pics now, but honestly, cured brisket isn't too appetizing - looks gray. lol

I will post pics of my pastrami adventures. :D

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watching the movie 'Waiting' will stop ya from ever complaining ever again. I never did anyways having musician friends in the industry, but really won't after watching that movie.

Something my wife does alot at most of our restaurant visits together. She's an adult and works hard so that's her prerogative. But she's really picky too. So she gets a bad meal most of the time. We did get bad steaks for real in BA last week, they were obviously rotten to all but me. Ribeyes. We both ordered one. I was a 1/4 of the way done when the wife took her first bite and said ewww this tastes bad. Her daughter and the waitress tried it and they all agreed. I tried it again and mine being rare it didn't taste as bad as theirs but similar. So we stopped right there. Manager offered us fresher sirloins but we were done. He was cool tho and comped everything including the kids meal.

(Tapatalk)- on the road.

cobra1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"There's no seasoning like floor seasoning."

Watching the movie 'Waiting' will stop ya from ever complaining ever again. I never did anyways having musician friends in the industry, but really won't after watching that movie.

Something my wife does alot at most of our restaurant visits together. She's an adult and works hard so that's her prerogative. But she's really picky too. So she gets a bad meal most of the time. We did get bad steaks for real in BA last week, they were obviously rotten to all but me. Ribeyes. We both ordered one. I was a 1/4 of the way done when the wife took her first bite and said ewww this tastes bad. Her daughter and the waitress tried it and they all agreed. I tried it again and mine being rare it didn't taste as bad as theirs but similar. So we stopped right there. Manager offered us fresher sirloins but we were done. He was cool tho and comped everything including the kids meal.

(Tapatalk)- on the road.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't even so worried about it being overcooked... you run into that once in a while, it's no big deal, you move on. My biggest thing was trying to pass off some half-assed cut of not-good ribeye at maybe 9 or 10 oz as a 16-ouch top end cut for $35. Totally wrong.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't even so worried about it being overcooked... you run into that once in a while, it's no big deal, you move on. My biggest thing was trying to pass off some half-assed cut of not-good ribeye at maybe 9 or 10 oz as a 16-ouch top end cut for $35. Totally wrong.

I have that same issue with most steak houses now. I thought about bringing my digital scales and ask them to bring the steak out before cooking, but then I'd be in a traffic stop and have drug dealer equipment in the vehicle.
We were in Red River NM a week ago and ate at Texas Reds. the 12 oz ribeye came out 3/8" thick and about 4" in diameter. Cooked well done.
For $29 they were getting it back. Second steak came out thicker but still cooked medium. I won't eat one above medium rare. Tried choking down the dried out hide, but the taste of freezer burn was way too much to get more down than a couple of bites.

It seems most of the chain steak houses have gone the way of calling a 12 oz steak 16 oz's.

I don't have any problem getting on Travelocity or a similar site and leaving good reviews if a good steak is served. Also don't have a problem putting up a bad review.

ARnut

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have that same issue with most steak houses now. I thought about bringing my digital scales and ask them to bring the steak out before cooking, but then I'd be in a traffic stop and have drug dealer equipment in the vehicle.
We were in Red River NM a week ago and ate at Texas Reds. the 12 oz ribeye came out 3/8" thick and about 4" in diameter. Cooked well done.
For $29 they were getting it back. Second steak came out thicker but still cooked medium. I won't eat one above medium rare. Tried choking down the dried out hide, but the taste of freezer burn was way too much to get more down than a couple of bites.

It seems most of the chain steak houses have gone the way of calling a 12 oz steak 16 oz's.

I don't have any problem getting on Travelocity or a similar site and leaving good reviews if a good steak is served. Also don't have a problem putting up a bad review.

Longhorn brings out the size you order and they cook it correctly too. Eaten there 10 plus times and haven't had a bad meal yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom