Had a terrible steak dining out tonight...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If I receive a meal that is unacceptable I don't send it back, I ask for a manager and make them aware of the problem.

They usually ask if I would like something else, and I say no thanks.

If they comp my meal, I will probably give the place another chance. If not, I usually never go back.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to the theater with the family for Beauty & the Beast. Friends we were with chose The Daily Grill to meet up for dinner. I'd never been there, but I expected being downtown, it would be expensive, but at least ok...

Had the New England clam chowder (white, not the red Manhattan) and it was really good. Like the grown-up mac'n'cheese, too, with bacon and mushrooms.

However... my "16-ounce" ribeye cooked medium was anything but...

I flipped steaks and cut meat at steakhouses for a couple of years, so I'm pretty familiar with ribeyes, and how to "eyeball" a steak for size. Ribeyes don't really shrink much, especially cooking them on the pink side - I usually order medium when dining out for ribeyes, as I don't like really REALLY rare and can handle a little more on the medium side more than the rare side with ribeyes, since they're so soft and marbled already. Pretty much any other steak I get medium-rare.

This steak... not even CLOSE to 16 ounces. I mean, not cooked weight, cooked it was less than half that. I would guess prior to cooking, it was a 9- or 10-ounce ribeye at most, then overcook it and oversear the outside - some of it was charred badly on the bottom, half the steak was medium-well to well-done, half was about medium, I guess. Overall, for $34.99, I will pass on ever going back. Even worse than the time that place in Utica Sq sent me a strip instead of the ribeye I ordered. No thanks. This one was really disappointing, though.

*BTW, for those who say I should have sent it back, I don't send food back. Just don't trust it. If it's inedible, I don't eat it, if it's edible, I choke it down, which is what I did tonight. No way I'm sending something back for a total recook and expecting to get something back that wasn't tampered with... I've just seen it too much from working in the restaurant world. Seen too many cooks get pissy if you send food back, even when it is obviously not cooked properly the first time. I just prefer to spread the word and speak with my wallet. I won't go back.

So, now I'm looking DOUBLY forward to my pastrami I am smoking tomorrow. I need something to wash the taste of that steak out of my mouth. Ugh.

It could have been one of those meat glued together steaks. Where they take cheaper cuts and glue them together with meat glue to resemble more expensive cuts. After seeing how they do it, my steak experience has never been the same. I once loved Ribeye and Prime rib, (same cut) now I look for the glue joints and am disappointed more than ever.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glued steaks, yummy! If you don't know the process or what this is just google it. Will you be pissed when you find out that favorite steak house has been selling you a glued ribeye or filet? I just hope I would be able to tell if I got one but if done right it may not be noticeable.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I receive a meal that is unacceptable I don't send it back, I ask for a manager and make them aware of the problem.

They usually ask if I would like something else, and I say no thanks.

If they comp my meal, I will probably give the place another chance. If not, I usually never go back.

This and I've done it a few times, managers have always been very friendly about it.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. I don't mind paying for a good meal, but I hate getting served crappy food. Like the OP, I don't trust them if I send it back, so I usually just ***** to the manager and ask them to take it off my bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom