Had spinal surgery last week, anybody else had it done?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stepper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife made me go to the dr to get checked because my arms were going numb and headaches. After several dr's, and mri's, they found out I had 2 disks that were gone, and no spinal fluid because of it in neck.

So, had surgery last thursday. I've been laying around taking it easy since then. I'm feeling really good today, I want to get out of the house! I have a 3inch cut on the front of my neck, and its still totally numb, and swollen. They told me I had to wear a neck brace for 6 weeks, and no driving for 4 weeks.

Anybody else been though this, or anything similar?

I just can't stand laying around all day, driving me nuts.

I finally was able to take a shower today, so that helps alot. Felt really nasty! Haha!

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, 4 years ago. They went in from the back on me. The sitting around thing sucked, I was like a puppy waiting for my wife to get home and talk me out of the house.

stepper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know the feeling! I sit around all day long, can't wait till somebody gets home! Then they go to bed, and I stay up watching tv all night because I can't sleep. I had to eat shakes and soup for the first 5-7 days. I just started eating real food yesterday. My wife went xmas shopping, so I"m bored at home again.

So, do you remember how long your recovery was? I took pain meds up until yesterday, and its not really hurting anymore, so I stopped taking them yesterday. I feel like I could go out of the house and walk around, but kind of afraid to.

What made you decide to have surgery done?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had the same surgery donw about 12 years ago, through the front of my neck to repair three blown out discs. I went crazy sitting around bored to death. The neck healed; the crazy....not so much.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've had four disc's in my neck fused due to being injured by a car bomb attack in Iraq. Three surgeries, two plates in the front with eight screws, several inch's of wire an 12 pins in the back. I only have 30 degree's movement left and right of center, and 15 degree's up and down. C4 through C7 are now one solid bone, and I'll have to have another surgery later on to fuse C7 to T1.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I broke my back in 2000. They had to go in twice. 1st to fix some nerve damage and a slipped disk. 2nd to do a double fusion and repair the broke vert. It sucked.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife had the same type of surg in Aug 2011. The surgeon was Dr Scott De La Garza. I clearly remember his statement: "I can fix this".... Now, she's as bad as before and is on multiple meds for the pain. Driving is only marginally safe. I installed a 5-panel 34" wide mirror to make it easier. She was scheduled to have another doc inject steroids in the C-spine, but douche insurance shot that down. Thankfully, she had long-term disability ins and that should last until the pending SSI claim is approved. The surgeon let her go back to work in the kitchen of a VA center without restrictions. She will never work again or have normal function. Yes, our mileage may vary, but I'm encouraging her to lawyer-up.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be sure and drink a lot of water. It is important for your back and also if you are on pain meds. There are some great doctors here who might give you some insight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom