• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Want To Buy Ham radio gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veshuma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 90%
9   1   0
I've recently got my license and wanting a decent radio. All I have is trade materials you can see in my various postings (should be public, but just ask and i'll provide photos)
Mostly looking for something with 2m, 70cm, and/or 6m. Will also look at HF rigs (I currently have an x6100, but it's a baby 10w qrp) Might have some cash depending on the deal. Also interested in partial trades.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am presuming you just got your Technician license and I am presuming you are looking for a 50w on 2m and usually 25w or so on 70cm mobile radio most people use on their desktop with a $25 30A power supply. You most likely can find a good used dual band 2m/70cm radio maby here or check to see if there are any ham clubs in your area to see what someone might have for sale. Not likely to have 6m also, very very few non HF rigs do and 6m is not a band that is open a lot consistently.

I would suggest selling your trade items for $ then you will have more bargaining power to purchase from someone who might not need what you have to trade. Couple ways to go there depending on if you are planning on upgrading your license to General or Extra anytime soon. 1. You can try to find a 2m/70cm dual band for now $150-225 range and then purchase an HF radio later Or 2. There are some very good older radios out there that will do 2m/.70cm/6m and HF bands which will be more expensive now, but will cover your needs long term. Something like a Yaesu FT100D (not the newer digital version) that will do all of this except for the 220 band and can be found in the $4-500 range that is 50w 2m, 25w 70cm and 100w HF. As stated earlier for either one you will need a $25 30A power supply, coax, and dual band antenna for any radio you purchase for 2m/70cm and later add a tuner, coax and an HF antenna later.

Would be a drive for you, but Green Country Hamfest will be April 7-8 this year in Claremore, OK just outside Tulsa. It is the biggest one in this area with lots of nifty prizes.

Good luck to you finding your first radio. It is not usually our last.

Veshuma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 90%
9   1   0
Lol. I'm trying to get rid of gun stuff I don't use to put into more radio stuff. Not going after my first radio. Lol. I'm well familiar with hardware. This isn't 2002. Ain't no 30a desktop psu going for 25 bucks, lol.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There are many $25 at todays prices 30A power supplies running for many years around here in NE Oklahoma. Many used for Field Day and everyday use. One company has been building this same one marketed under different labels for at least 8 years and surprisingly their prices have not changed.

https://www.amazon.com/eTopxizu-Uni...ds=12v+30a+power+supply&qid=1678316963&sr=8-3
You do have to put on your own power cord off an old hair dryer or something like that on it. It has no built in switch, I only unplug mine during storms. It has no meters, lights, bells or whistles. They just work. My main one is used every day in my radio room. It has been used at field day with a Yaesu FT100 and a Kenwood TS-2000 running 100W which both draw about 20A on transmit. (Not at the same time, but different years.} I have never noticed the fan come on and it is never warm to the touch during heavy key down times. Never had any sporadic interference on any band. For that price, I have a spare, only have it wired and tested if I ever need it. Good Luck to you.

Last edited:

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've recently got my license and wanting a decent radio. All I have is trade materials you can see in my various postings (should be public, but just ask and i'll provide photos)
Mostly looking for something with 2m, 70cm, and/or 6m. Will also look at HF rigs (I currently have an x6100, but it's a baby 10w qrp) Might have some cash depending on the deal. Also interested in partial trades.

I don't have anything for you, but good luck on your hunt. And keep learning and keep advancing.

AG.....WJ

Veshuma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 90%
9   1   0
I am presuming you just got your Technician license and I am presuming you are looking for a 50w on 2m and usually 25w or so on 70cm mobile radio most people use on their desktop with a $25 30A power supply. You most likely can find a good used dual band 2m/70cm radio maby here or check to see if there are any ham clubs in your area to see what someone might have for sale. Not likely to have 6m also, very very few non HF rigs do and 6m is not a band that is open a lot consistently.

I would suggest selling your trade items for $ then you will have more bargaining power to purchase from someone who might not need what you have to trade. Couple ways to go there depending on if you are planning on upgrading your license to General or Extra anytime soon. 1. You can try to find a 2m/70cm dual band for now $150-225 range and then purchase an HF radio later Or 2. There are some very good older radios out there that will do 2m/.70cm/6m and HF bands which will be more expensive now, but will cover your needs long term. Something like a Yaesu FT100D (not the newer digital version) that will do all of this except for the 220 band and can be found in the $4-500 range that is 50w 2m, 25w 70cm and 100w HF. As stated earlier for either one you will need a $25 30A power supply, coax, and dual band antenna for any radio you purchase for 2m/70cm and later add a tuner, coax and an HF antenna later.

Would be a drive for you, but Green Country Hamfest will be April 7-8 this year in Claremore, OK just outside Tulsa. It is the biggest one in this area with lots of nifty prizes.

Good luck to you finding your first radio. It is not usually our last.

I'm noticing a trend when I try to barter my way into something in regards to ham radio. "Just throw money at your problem." Yeah. I know I can spend cash and acquire things. But I'm trying to trade for it that way I don't have to spend extra money and amass more things. I have stuff I don't use and ain't attached to. I could trade or sell these things for cash to go toward radio stuff or trade directly for radio stuff.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Don't have anything I'm not using or keeping for emergencies at the moment, but I wish you the best of luck with your search. You might check the classifieds over at QRZ.com for something used.

hemphill

Marksman
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I sold a Ruger LCR 357 and used the money to buy an Icom-706mkiig that same week at Ham Holiday. I have never tried to barter with fellow hams. There are usually good deals to be had for cash and cash only, in my experience. I also have never had any trouble selling a gun. If you want to pursue trading guns for radios, i would advise getting involved with your local ham radio club, W5KS.org, and/or bringing it up on your local repeater. Good luck with your search. 73

Latest posts

Top Bottom